Redside Dace Injury

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:11 PM

One of my Redside Dace has an odd injury on its right side that looks like a cut. It looks like a red gash with something white sticking out in some areas. It's schooling normally but refuses to eat and when I feed the tank it will look like it is chewing food while it's not eating anything, it only makes these "chewing" motions at feeding time while not actually eating anything. When I left for Erie Friday it did not have this problem and I noticed it when I came back today. The person taking care of my fish didn't notice it but they didn't sit and watch the tanks like I do so I don't know when this appeared. Tankmates are 4 other redside dace (5 total), 6 silverjaw minnows, and 1 central Stoneroller, all in a 20 tall with weekly or biweekly water changes of 25%. I sometimes add salt to the water at 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons but occasionally it slips my mind during WCs so I'll be sure to add it a 1 tbsp per 5 gallons until the injury heals. Any idea what this is or if it could spread, or is it just a cut?Attached File  image.jpg   114.5KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   93.5KB   0 downloadsAttached File  image.jpg   89.66KB   0 downloads
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 14 June 2015 - 08:52 PM

I have no real clue, but I would get it out of that tank just in case.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 15 June 2015 - 10:35 AM

I have no real clue, but I would get it out of that tank just in case.

I agree

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#4 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:44 AM

Remove to a separate tank and keep the water very clean. 

Salt irritates the skin of your fish, causing them to produce a thicker slime coat. Thought the higher amount of salt could help keep bacteria down, I don't know if you really want to be adding an irritant to a tank with an injured fish.

#5 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:52 PM

I unfortunately don't have any available tanks to QT this fish in but I'll try to dig up a small shoebox and maybe toss a sponge filter in it. For now I already did a 50% WC earlier today and added a little under two tablespoons of salt to a total of 8-10 gallons of water.

#6 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 15 June 2015 - 07:37 PM

Don't know either. Since that white line seems to form an enclosed area, it looks more like some kind of lesion or infection to me. That's just my ignoramoose observation. Hope it does alright.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#7 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:36 PM

Seems to have healed up nicely and fish is eating again at last. Must have just been a nasty cut or something similar to that.

#8 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 30 June 2015 - 09:23 AM

That's what we like to hear!  I wish more of those cases turned out like yours.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users