Blotchside Logperch Photos

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2007 - 07:39 PM

We did our monthly telescope shiner collecting trip to Hurricane Creek in the Walls of Jericho, Alabama, today. We found our quota of telescopes, and we even netted a bunch of flame chubs. The big thrill was netting a male (I think) blotchside logperch (Percina burtoni) for the first time in this creek; previously we had only seen them while snorkeling. I didn't want to harm the logperch, so we left it in the net so it could be dunked on a regular basis while I quickly photographed it. They're not great photos but you can clearly see a primary diagnostic character, the continuous red dorsal stripe. This species is listed as S1, Critically Imperiled, in Alabama where it's also known from at least one of the other tributaries of the Paint Rock River, Estill Fork, just to the west of Hurricane Creek. AndrewAcropora is holding the fish in the photos.

Attached File  Blotchside02.jpg   337.63KB   9 downloads

Attached File  Blotchside04.jpg   202.33KB   5 downloads

#2 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2007 - 09:34 PM

Thats a really cool looking logperch, I haven't ever seen a photo of one before. Congrats on the pull up.

#3 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2007 - 10:32 PM

The knotted netting is interesting to me. You don't see that often in small mesh nets.

#4 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:23 AM

Very cool logperch. Any pictures of the flame chubs?

#5 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:57 AM

Here is a not-so-good pic of a blotchside we got a few years ago in Estill Fork. Great find Bruce.

Attached Files

#6 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:58 AM

Very cool logperch. Any pictures of the flame chubs?

Not from this trip, we found them unexpectedly, away from the camera. None of them were in full "flame", several were gravid, and the others were probably sub-adult yearlings. But they all had that red spot at the front base of the dorsal. We found them in a slow moving side-pool that drains a small arm of the main creek, and has its own spring seep source(s) too. It's a very similar microenvironment to a site along Little Cypress Creek in Lauderdale County, AL, where we found lots of flames.

#7 Guest_AndrewAcropora_*

Guest_AndrewAcropora_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:12 PM

A beautiful find--Fundulus is always talking about these guys and how they're supposed to be present in this or that pool.
...And Sure enough, as soon as we switch to the larger net, we catch one!

#8 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 April 2007 - 12:45 PM

The knotted netting is interesting to me. You don't see that often in small mesh nets.

The seine was made by Nichols Net & Twine Inc. of Granite City, IL. They're commercial net-makers so the construction of their seines is different and, I think, better. Their web site is at Nicholsnetandtwine.com. The net we used to capture the blotchside is 12 feet long by 4 feet deep. We also captured two large, beautiful greenside darters, male and female, right before we netted the blotchside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users