Photo

June Update

6 replies to this topic

#1 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 23 June 2015 - 12:21 PM

I have been quiet a bit as of late. In part because I didn't get a collecting permit until recently. In part because enthusiasm becomes difficult once Fish and Game changes the rules to no collecting by dipnet or seine in freshwater. 

At least I got a permit now (no, not the kind that is a Pompano) so my thoughts can turn to the kind appropriate for a regional rep, as opposed to the very angry thoughts I had before, 

June+1+Permit+1+rsz.jpg

june+1+permit+2+rsz.jpg

My first nature trip had two goals, Scouting the harbor by the hampton/seabrook bridge was one of them. I tried wading into the very very cold ocean water and seining, I caught nothing, saw green and hermit crabs though. And one small fish near the metal seabrook pier who escaped me.

june+2+hermit+1+rsz.jpg

This particular hermit crab was held by Rick Sola who wanted to keep it in his fish tank and was interested in native fish keeping, 

But I saw a small fish, one fisherman told me he caught and released a small flounder, and I saw this, so I know their are fish here. 

june+2+striper+rsz.jpg

What about my other nature related goal? It took a while, but I did find and photograph a piping plover.

june+2+plover+1+rsz.jpg

Finally last weekend I wanted to test the underwater capabilities of a vivitar camera i had, The area of the Ashuelot river I went to was very muddy and had a step drop off so I didn't move around much, I lie down to film and photo minnows.

did it work? yeah, but not well. You can tell their are moving fish, and that is it,

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

My sealife was better, I got enough detail to at least see they were silver and had eyes using it, Those features pretty much include all minnows. 

june+3+minnow+rsz.jpg

#2 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 23 June 2015 - 03:04 PM

Are you teasing us for the NH gathering?

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#3 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 24 June 2015 - 12:15 AM

Whenever I post a fish pic Casper. It's going to be awesome. 

This weekend me and Mike will do the first official pre convention scouting, I am abuzz with ideas. I even started thinking of plan B ideas in case we need them. It will be awesome.

#4 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:18 AM

I think you'd better fly me out to help you scout.  I'll bring the microgear!

#5 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:40 PM

Can't wait to see what kind of fish are up there, especially saltwater! I'm going to have to find a used 75 or something so I can bring back some Gunnels, Lumpfish, marine Sculpins, etc.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#6 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:16 PM

The saltwater netting intrigues me as well. I have never done it.

Can you legally use longer nets in saltwater up there Josh? Be neat to drag a 30 foot net in the salt.

Otherwise most of my time will be spent up in the white mountains chasing brook trout.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#7 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:07 AM

The saltwater netting intrigues me as well. I have never done it.

Can you legally use longer nets in saltwater up there Josh? Be neat to drag a 30 foot net in the salt.

Otherwise most of my time will be spent up in the white mountains chasing brook trout.

Nets are legally usable in saltwater, though you need to apply for a harvest permit and give them catch data.

Sean, good info on out Marine species can be found here. http://www.gma.org/fogm/

I think most marine species up here need the investment in a chiller too, Though warmer water species (at least for game fish) are slowly creeping up here more and more often.

One interesting brackish species here I hope to see is the smooth flounder. They look very close to a winter flounder but are smaller (they max out at a foot), have different scales between the eyes (one is scaleless, I forgot which), and prefer fresher estuary waters. Sadly I think they need a chiller too, otherwise they sound perfect for a brackish tank. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users