black spots on redside dace?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member
  • san clemente, california

Posted 25 June 2015 - 12:46 PM

I first thought they had black spot, but not the spots are larger and not dots anymore. they look almost like they are developing a pattern similar to some mosquito fish. What do you think it is? I can't get pictures easily, but I will try to get one.

Edit: They are eating well and act normal. they are in my stream aquarium. They also have their red color still.

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:01 PM

They do sometimes get black spots below the lateral line which is normal pigment.

Also if they did not have black spot disease when you got them, unless you have herons and kingfishers in your house, they can not contract the parasites now. There could be a delay between exposure and showing symptoms I suppose.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:51 PM

Fish can get  black spot trematodes from snails that lived outdoors and were exposed to fish-eating bird poop.  But if the spots are becoming blotches, it doesn't sound like trematode parasites, unless maybe the parasites are affecting the melanophores in the surrounding skin.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#4 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:27 PM

Pictures would help for sure but I've noticed my redsides will get almost jet black after I give them live food and they become very excited. Cold just be a pigmentation change.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users