Tub-Spawning Other Species with Golden Topminnows

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:42 PM

I have a 70 gallon rubbermaid stock tank that I originally planned to spawn Checkered Madtoms in, but my male and one female jumped out during a rainstorm, so I'm left with only one gravid female. I plan to remove her, add some more plants, and throw in my school of Golden Topminnows and hope for a spawn. Are there any other species that would do well with Golden Topminnows that wouldn't eat all of their fry?

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#2 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 25 June 2015 - 01:45 PM

Elassoma, Heterandia, Lucania goodei are all found together with goldens and are small enough not to eat the golden fry.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 25 June 2015 - 02:43 PM

Really? I think Elassoma are pretty effective at eating anything small... Even snail eggs or baby snails... do the Fundulus guard their eggs well enough.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 25 June 2015 - 05:39 PM

I'd expect the Lucania to be more predacious on fry than the Elassoma.  But the Fundulus themselves are the biggest threat.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#5 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:24 PM

I'd expect the Lucania to be more predacious on fry than the Elassoma.  But the Fundulus themselves are the biggest threat.

+1 it took me forever to get fry from my Bluefin pair because they'd constantly eat there own fry before I could fish them out. Elassoma don't seem big enough to me to predate on fry but I've never kept them either.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#6 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 26 June 2015 - 08:00 AM

Evan's original post asked for species that would not eat ALL of the golden fry.  These species are all found together in the wild in surprisingly high densities at time so there have to be some fry making it to adulthood regardless of predation.  If the container is adequately planted and there is sufficient invertebrate food supply, I see no reason why these species wouldn't thrive together and produce fish that would survive to become adults.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#7 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 26 June 2015 - 10:13 AM

Yup, that's the ticket ... keep them so full of bugs and worms that they don't bother chasing fry.

... adequately planted and there is sufficient invertebrate food supply ...

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users