Photo

Scouting the lowland streams

3 replies to this topic

#1 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:07 PM

Last week me and mike went to scout for Redfin Pickerel, Swamp Darter, Banded Sunfish, and Creek Chubsucker in the lowland streams of eastern and central NH, We found all but the swamp darters.

Here are a few pictures of the sites we went to (I forgot which is which but I think the 2nd and 3rd are the same site just different sides of the road). 

ft1+mike+and+fishing+spot+rsz.jpg

ft1+spot+1+rsz.jpgft1+spot+2+rsz.jpg

Our first stop was at a marshy stretch of the Little Cohas River. Here we found 8 pumpkinseeds, 17 banded sunfish, 4 redfin pickerel, and 15 creek chubsuckers. This was by far our best and most productive spot. I did get a bit worried when I netted some leeches, but got none on me.

Here are some banded sunfish from this spot in Mike's photo tank.

ft1+banded+rsz.jpg

And here is how Mike looks to the fish in his Photo Tank. :) I was trying to photograph the pickerel, the camera chose its own focus point, 

ft1+mike+as+fish+see+him+rsz.jpg

The pumpkinseed here were unusual, they had heavilly banded sides and reddish operculum.

ft+1+pumpkinseed+1a+rsz.jpg

ft1+pumpkinseed+2+rsz.jpg

#2 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:16 PM

Here are a few photos of a mix of fish in Mike's bucket.

ft1+fish+jar+rsz.jpg

ft1+fish+jar+2+rsz.jpg

ft1+fish+jar+4+rsz.jpg

ft1+fish+jar+5+rsz.jpg

Our second spot was also on Little Cohas Brook by the airport. This spot we got mainly Blacknose Dace and one Banded Sunfish,

From their we tried the North River, We caught redfin pickerel, yellow bullhead, banded sunfish, and unidentified silvery colored minnows here. Though we saw no lepomis sunfish at this spot their was a nest here. 

our last major stop was the isinglass river where we found banded sunfish and a couple baby largemouth bass,

A couple spots we scouted but did not sample. One that stood out had a beaver dam on one side of the road, a nearly dry stream at the other. Sadly their was a dead spotted turtle here. The first time I see this threatened species and it is dead.

A few other spots were unexplored because they were posted.

We briefly checked out the Lamprey river and saw a fallfish, longnose dace, and some likely golden shiner. But none of these were target species for this scouting so we left fairly soon after arriving. 

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 04 July 2015 - 08:15 AM

Yay, bandeds galore! Pretty looking spot, too. When do you guys scout the highlands? :)
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#4 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:08 PM

Yay, bandeds galore! Pretty looking spot, too. When do you guys scout the highlands? :)

We plan to scout close to the convention site first. So we'd likely do one or more low land trips before moving higher up.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users