minnow help

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 18 July 2015 - 03:41 PM

I was sure that I saw N. hudsonius today at a local creek event today.  We definitely had them in the aquarium.  But I netted a random minnow (making sure not to get the Cyprinella) and photoed one.  But I didnt pay attention, I was just taking the photo.  Now when I look at it, I dont think it is hudsonius... kinda looks like a Hybopsis to me.

Help, now I am doubting myself and I cant decided either way?

Attached File  sc shiner.JPG   36.62KB   1 downloads

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:04 AM

That is a tough one. It doesn't quite have the eye shape of a hudsonius, but the dorsal scales seemed shaped more like hudsonius. Not a terribly punctuated lateral line like a hudsonius would have. When I look at Peterson's, Marcy's, and Fritz's book it seems to have more individual hudsonius qualities to it, but when I just look at the photo it sure seems more like Hybopsis rubrifrons. I'm probably overthinking things and missing something obvious,though...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#3 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:12 AM

Does not seem to have that subterminal mouth that is common in Hybopsis. About all I can add.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#4 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 19 July 2015 - 10:30 AM

To me it looks more like hudsonius than like rubrifrons; quite similar to Cape Fear and PeeDee basin hudsonius I've seen.  Are there any other possibilities in that watershed?

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:16 PM

Gerald, those are certainly the two most likely, since this is a direct tributary to the North Oconee, but we also have a Hybognathus (that I have never seen) according to Fishmap.org.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:36 PM

Not sure what your local Hybognathus is, but the H. regius I've seen in NC are plain silvery, no dark scale edging or lateral stripe, clear fins with no color, and a smaller eye than your fish pic.  See Scott's Hybog pic here: http://www.ncfishes....thus-regius.jpg

I think your fish is hudsonius -- I see nothing in the pic that looks inconsistent with hudsonius

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:46 PM

Thanks Gerald.  You are much better at this silvery minnow ID than I am.  When we were streamside I was sure they were N.hudsonius, but once I got home and looked more closely at the photo I got confused.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users