Photo

Game fish pellets?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Markcamp392

Markcamp392
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:15 PM

Does anyone have any information on these? I'm considering using these as a base for the diet of my sunfish and bass in my aquarium.

#2 Mrfipp

Mrfipp
  • NANFA Guest
  • Runaway Bay, Texas

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:28 PM

People here use them in feeders on a dock to feed catfish and bass they keep in their stock tanks. Being that those fish are outside in big ponds they clearly get treats of nature like grasshoppers, but the pellets on the timer are their staple. I'm sure they'd work fine, but for a small number of fish indoors I'd use a good cichlid pellet and frozen silversides, maybe loaded mealworms, etc. That's my .02.
There's something fishy about this place...

#3 Markcamp392

Markcamp392
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:25 PM

I'm just thinking if the game pellets would be considerably cheaper than buying cichlids pellets, or feeders. I just caught wind of purine apparently making good quality pellets and I'm going to check that out right now

#4 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:53 PM

I have Purina Aquamax 500 for sale in the trading dock here. I use it for my pond mostly, but have used it in many tanks. Works fine for me. It is a complete diet. 41% protein. I buy it by the 50 pound bag and mark it up a good bit to cover my time packaging and shipping. It is a good way to sample it and see how it works for you before you buy a 50 pound bag. If you are going to use enough, find a local feed store that can order it in for you.If you get a 50 pound bag plan to have an airtight container or two and some dessicant packs to keep what you cannot feed in a couple of months in good shape. This is a very different product than game fish food from Tractor Supply Company for instance which is made for balanced farm ponds as a supplement to the natural diet/food chain in a good sized pond.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#5 HelenGreene

HelenGreene
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Diego

Posted 22 June 2016 - 05:34 AM

yes, you can feed them.

#6 az9

az9
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 17 September 2016 - 12:16 PM

I also use the Purina Aquamax for my pond and tank fish. I do wish the carbs were a little lower as it produces a lot of fatty tissue in the fish. Unfortunately getting another brand is difficult for me. It's  20 minute drive vs. 2 hours. 

Bluegills will take to it just fine, but I doubt other species that are not feed trained will take any interest in it. I have to feed train my yellow perch to get them to eat it. Once they do, however, they really go at it. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users