Photo

10 days in Atlantic Canada (2015)

7 replies to this topic

#1 MuskieBait

MuskieBait
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:36 PM

My sister and I visited our 4 Maritime provinces between June 7-17, 2015. We spent most of the time camping and hiking in various national parks. I did, however, have a few sessions to fish for some Northwestern Atlantic saltwater species. I did not fish for any freshwater species at all since 1) a different freshwater license was required for each province while we do not require any license for tidal waters 2) most trout or salmon rivers have very strict regulations and some provinces requires visitor to hire a guide to fish freshwater streams (it's ludicrous!) and 3) most of what was available in freshwater species were already caught by me in other areas of North America so I simply was not interested based on 1 and 2 above.

I made a challenging but achievable goal to catch a new species from each province. In the end, I caught 7 new species and accomplished my goal!

Shorthorn Sculpin (Myoxocephalus scorpius) - Species #464 (Newfoundland)

IMG_4749_post.jpg

Rock Gunnel (Pholis gunnellus) - Species #465 (Newfoundland)

IMG_4770_post.jpg

Winter Flounder (Pseudopleuronectes americanus) - Species #466 (Prince Edward Island)

IMG_5096_post.jpg

Blackspotted Stickleback (Gasterosteus wheatlandi) - Species #467 (Prince Edward Island)

IMG_5121_post.jpg

Three-spined Stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) - Species #468 (Prince Edward Island)

IMG_5178_post.jpg

Atlantic Tomcod (Microgadus tomcod) - Species #469 (New Brunswick)

IMG_5196_post.jpg

Longhorn Sculpin (Myoxocephalus octodecemspinosus) - Species #470 (Nova Scotia)

IMG_5303_post.jpg

#2 MuskieBait

MuskieBait
  • NANFA Guest

There were so much spectacular scenery that there isn't enough room to share here. I'll share my favourite panoramic view with you, but I so encourage you to visit my blog posts to see the rest.

http://muskiebaitadv...nada-day-1.html

Lomond_post.jpg

Gros_Morne_Panorama_Foothill_post.jpg

Gros_Morne_Meadow_post.jpg

Gros_Morne_Panorama_post.jpg

Tableland_Panorama_post.jpg

Tableland_Green_Garden_post.jpg

Middle_Head_post.jpg

Skyline_post.jpg

Cabot_Trail_post.jpg

Petit_Etang_post.jpg

#3 MuskieBait

MuskieBait
  • NANFA Guest

Waterside_Beach_post.jpg

Daniels_Flat_post.jpg

#4 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 29 July 2015 - 03:15 AM

Nice fish, a familiar marine assortment.

Living inland I do not know flatfish well. Did you make sure the flounder had scales between its eyes to rule out the near identical smooth flounder?

#5 MuskieBait

MuskieBait
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:18 AM

Nice fish, a familiar marine assortment.

Living inland I do not know flatfish well. Did you make sure the flounder had scales between its eyes to rule out the near identical smooth flounder?

I did not feel them by touch at the time I held them unfortunately. I only knew about Smooth Flounder after I return home from the trip. However, looking at the photographs, I can see scales or indentation of scales between the eyes for all of the flatfishes I've photographed.

The real enigma for me, at the moment, is that all my flatfishes had their dorsal fin origin near the middle or at the rear edge of the eye. Winter Flounder's dorsal fin should originate near the anterior edge of the eye. I have a few pictures of different fish where the dorsal fin was completely erect and clearly showed this. Added to the issue is that some of the flatfishes had marginal anal fin ray count (42-43). From what I've read, Winter Flounder is higher (44-58) while Smooth Flounder is lower (35-40). Some of mine are right in between! I read in a few articles that races of Winter Flounder can be separated by consistent difference in fin ray count, due to differences in environmental factors affecting phenotypic expression such as fin ray count. I wonder if our more northern waters lowers fin ray count?

I'm quite puzzled to be honest...but Winter Flounder is the most commonly caught species of inshore flatfish in Atlantic Canada so I had very little reason to think these are any other species but Winter Flounder. I am considering sending my pictures to be examined by my friend who is an assistant curator at ROM in their ichthyology department.

#6 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:05 AM

I checked the NH saltwater fishing guides flounder ID chart and it says an arched lateral line is diagnostic for yellowtail flounder. However a search online shows yellowtails having pointier faces and some winter flowers having arched lines (assuming the photos were correctly IDed by their posters),

#7 MuskieBait

MuskieBait
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 29 July 2015 - 05:11 PM

From this link:

http://www.gma.org/f..._ferruginea.htm

Yellowtail Flounder: The dorsal fin (76 to 85 rays) originates over the eyes, its middle rays are the longest. Its anal fin is similar in outline to the dorsal, but is much shorter (56 to 63 rays), and it is preceded by a short, sharp spine pointing forward.

The fin ray counts for all my flatfish are simply too low to be Yellowtail Flounder.

#8 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 29 July 2015 - 06:24 PM

Sounds like a great trip! Never seen coloration like that in a Longhorn Sculpin.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users