How to catch logperch?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 05 August 2015 - 03:45 PM

I know we have logperch in the area. However, I've only ever seen them while scuba diving in 15 feet of water. Since it wouldn't be legal for me to take a net underwater and chase them down, I need to find another way to catch some. 

Where do they tend to live?

Would dragging a seine through typical darter habitat be likely to nab me a few? 

Could they possibly be obtained by dropping a tiny hook down into places where I've seen them? 

#2 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 05 August 2015 - 05:36 PM

I know we have logperch in the area. However, I've only ever seen them while scuba diving in 15 feet of water. Since it wouldn't be legal for me to take a net underwater and chase them down, I need to find another way to catch some. 

Would dragging a seine through typical darter habitat be likely to nab me a few? 

Could they possibly be obtained by dropping a tiny hook down into places where I've seen them? 

I've caught them on tiny hooks, they like worms... 

Michael

Life is the poetry of the universe
Love is the poetry of life

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 05 August 2015 - 05:48 PM

Yes, I have caught them many times in "regular" darter habitat... maybe just behind that where the water is a little deeper, but yes, in the same general area.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 06 August 2015 - 09:55 AM

Yes, they're a pretty easy microfishing target.  Size #20 hook or smaller would be good.  Crimp down the barb to minimize damage.

#5 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 06 August 2015 - 10:55 AM

I catch them with a seine on boat landings very frequently.

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users