Jump to content


collecting from other states?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Leo1234

  • NANFA Member
  • san clemente, california

Posted 07 August 2015 - 06:13 PM

Could I go to another state (ex Utah, Oregon, Arizona) Get a day licence (if needed) collect and take the fish home with me back to California? Would I need to ship the fish? What would I need to do? I was thinking of doing this sometime, but I want to keep it legal.

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 07 August 2015 - 10:30 PM

you need to check your local laws for specifics... but in general, the answer is yes.  That is exactly what I have done in the past for the NANFA convention... or even for our trip to Florida this February.  I bought a three day or a week long license so that my activities in the other state (FL, NC, SC, etc.) were legal.  Many states have a three day fishing license, or week long ones, that are entirely reasonable if you are going to spend a few days out in the water.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:19 AM

 Lots of NANFA people do this, the kicker here is you need to study the laws of the state you are collecting in, and also be sure that whatever you bring home is legal in your state. An example is I can go to Kentucky and legally collect spotted darters, but can not legally keep them in Ohio since they are state listed. Otherwise it is a great way to find some new fish and explore some new waters.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

Reply to this topic


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users