Photo

Finescale and northern redbelly dace, fathead minnow. Just looking for more input.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 12 August 2015 - 08:53 PM

So these fish were caught around the Halliburton area in Ontario.  

These dace were caught in a shallow marshy area with still water.  Small black flecks, lack of barbels, makes me believe they are Finescale dace. 

Attached File  DSCF9621 (Large).JPG   84.51KB   1 downloads

Attached File  DSCF9642 (Large).JPG   94.68KB   0 downloads

Then I moved on to a pool of water in a slow stream at a culvert.  The pool held a few creek chubs but these other three fish showed up as well.

This one I'm fairly certain is a northern redbelly dace. Two stripes along the side.  Sorry for the poor picture.

Attached File  DSCF9655 (Large).JPG   77.77KB   0 downloads

This next one surprised me, it seems to be a fathead minnow but I wanted to rule out brassy minnow.  What points me towards fathead minnow is the general stocky body shape, the scale crowding behind the head, shape of the dorsal fin which reminds me of bluntnose minnow, and the presence of herringbone lines.  I'm not sure about the dorsal fin position relative to the anal fin, as in brassy minnow the dorsal fin is ahead the pelvic fin. 

Attached File  DSCF9662 (Large).JPG   87.16KB   0 downloads

And finally, this stunner which appears to me to be another finescale dace.  Again, small black flecks, lack of barbels, but this time with an interrupted red stripe and white splotch anterior the dorsal fin .

Attached File  DSCF9670 (Large).JPG   83.98KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSCF9678 (Large).JPG   93.79KB   0 downloads

How do you guys feel about these ID's?  Thanks in advance for any input!

Edited by MichaelAngelo, 12 August 2015 - 08:55 PM.

#2 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:51 PM

I would agree with all.

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users