Photo

Embedding Photos

11 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 20 August 2015 - 08:04 AM

I use Google Photos to backup and organize most of my photos.  It's very simple, easy to use, and Google automatically backs up my photos from my phone/tablet.  In the past I was able to embed a photo that was in my Google photos collection, however, now when I try it, I get an error that says something about the file type is not supported.  It will let me add the photo and show it while I'm creating a post, but when you try to submit it, the error comes up.

Do we have the option with the forum to review/edit what file types are supported?

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:55 AM

I just tried and got the same message... I wonder if Google changed something on their end... I thought we did this before also.  I will have to look into it.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:56 AM

https://lh3.googleus...4=w1920-h758-no

We ll that is stupid, its just a link...

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 20 August 2015 - 12:53 PM

I can use Google Photos on other forums.  There are some non-fish forums that I post in, they work there.

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#5 zooxanthellae

zooxanthellae
  • NANFA Member
  • North Carolina

Posted 20 August 2015 - 04:50 PM

https://lh3.googleus...4=w1920-h758-no

We ll that is stupid, its just a link...

My guess is that the forum software is looking for a file extension, and not getting one from your link. If you click on your image in google photos (so that it loads it in the browser) then click on "pop out" in the upper right corner, you can then right click on the new image that loads, and go to "copy image". This can then be pasted directly into the forum post. It isn't ideal of course, but will work in the interim. 

EDIT: This works until you go to actually post, where the forum responds with :

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:32 PM

OK, I found in the Admin board where I can change the acceptable file types by extension... so like it works with jpg or gif or jpeg... so what is the file extension for that crazy new google stuff... this is almost certainly what is hanging us up... but I don't know what to add to the list... does someone understand google photo better than I do and can help me out?

This is a good limitation to have to keep people form posting spam or virus stuff or even just huge files... but I need to figure out how to allow google... but what is the extension?

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:59 PM

A little searching around the old www and it seems that we are not alone in this problem... but I have not seen a solution yet... if any of y'all figure this out, please let me know... I will keep working on it too.

#8 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:11 AM

It's strange that I can do it on other forums.  I know the older Google photos would give you the .jpg at the end, but now sure about this new one.

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#9 zooxanthellae

zooxanthellae
  • NANFA Member
  • North Carolina

Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:31 AM

So a little digging lead me to this: 

https://developers.g...eed/webp/?hl=en

It is a new compression format called webp. So you would need to add support to *.WebP . If that is even an option. 

The reason you can still see it in your browser (or in google photos), is because chrome and opera (and probably others) add support natively for that format. Where this forum software clearly doesn't know what to make of them. 

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:28 PM

I can try adding the .webp extension (I saw some of this as well), but I am not sure if it will work since the url you get doesn't really end in .webp but hey we can try stuff on saturday afternoon after I come back from fishing.

I asked this on a Google Photo Board and got several answers... all mostly telling me that you can't do this any more (so I would be really interested to understand where you are able to make it work Josh).  But I did get one guy that said this... so maybe we can try this also when I am at home and have time to play with it.

• It does look as if Google wishes its users to share images via link, however, you can still embed images and obtain a URL including the extension by going to Picasa Web Albums (https://picasaweb.google.com), find the image, and copy the link from Embed image field that appears on the right-hand panel (on desktop). The maximum width is 800px. I haven't come across any issues, so far.

#11 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:31 PM

Esox%252520headon.jpg

OK, so doing what the blue text above said seems to work???!!!! Not as convenient as before but not terrible. I didn't even have to do the embed image part, just right clicked and did the old 'copy url'

#12 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:53 AM

Take a look at the bottom of this thread.  I just reposted some photos here: http://www.antique-b...m674826-p3.aspx

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users