bowfin

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_zygoat23_*

Guest_zygoat23_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:08 PM

Other than the female being bigger than the male, how can one distinguish between the sexes?

Fishbase doesnt give much info. [/url]

#2 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 03:45 PM

Other than the female being bigger than the male, how can one distinguish between the sexes?

Fishbase doesnt give much info.  [/url]

It is easy to ID the fish when they are mature and in breeding condition.
Males will have a brilliant green underside with brilliant green Pectrol and ventral fins, Females will lack this.

Some say you can distinguish males and female by the presence of or lack of the caudal ocellus.
This is not nessesarily the case (especially in young fish) as I have seen females with a distinct and developed Caudal ocellus.

#3 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:23 PM

Down here we have gotten some females with bright green fins and an ocellus, but the ocellus usually lacks the halo around it seen in the males. So far we are 100% on sexing externally on a couple hundred fish.

#4 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:55 PM

Down here we have gotten some females with bright green fins and an ocellus, but the ocellus usually lacks the halo around it seen in the males. So far we are 100% on sexing externally on a couple hundred fish.

I just went through about 30 fish (5-7 inches), trying to find any sexual difference. Nothing jumps out at me. All have ocellus. a few may seem to have more of a halo, but I might be imagining it.
Dredcon, If I sent you pics, do you think you could sex them at this size? Want to try?

#5 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:00 PM

I could give it a try. I have some good pics to post of this at school I think.

#6 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:06 PM

I could give it a try. I have some good pics to post of this at school I think.

I will try to send some pics to you tomorrow evening if I have the time. PM me with an email addy that I can send them to.

#7 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:06 PM

This one is honed up any you can see the halo really well. After spawning season the halo is still there, but not as bright. I do not know how well this works for small ones.

Attached Images

• IMGP0710.jpg

#8 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:09 PM

This one is honed up any you can see the halo really well. After spawning season the halo is still there, but not as bright. I do not know how well this works for small ones.

Not well, none of mine have a halo that well defined. I will send you some pics, and maybe you can see something that I may be missing.

#9 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:12 PM

Here's another male from feb. Im looking for some good female pics and some recent male pics. I should be going out again within the week so I'll snap some then.

Attached Images

• Picture_035.jpg

#10 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:14 PM

It could be a size thing, or maybe they don't develop they same in captivity.

#11 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:22 PM

It could be a size thing, or maybe they don't develop they same in captivity.

I really think that it is a function of age. Mine are too small to show any dimorphism ( did I spell that big word right?)
You will still get pics!

#12 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:25 PM

he smaller they are, the harder it is to tell for sure. Here is a female tail spot pic.

Attached Images

• Picture_017.jpg

#13 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:28 PM

he smaller they are, the harder it is to tell for sure. Here is a female tail spot pic.

Of all my fish , the most indistinct tailspot is still WAY more distinct than that.

#14 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:31 PM

They are small? They may still be to young to tell.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users