Photo

Taillight Shiner & Fishes of Western FL.

48 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 25 August 2015 - 12:38 PM

I'll be heading to Fort Walton Beach for vacation at the end of Sept.  I was hoping somebody could give me a 'sure-thing' location for Tail light shiners within the area.  Also, are there any NANFA members that would like to meet me for a few hours one morning?  Let me know and maybe we can get together.

http://fishmap.org/s...ght-Shiner.html

I was trying to embed the map, but I guess we can't do that.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:51 PM

You got a Florida collecting guide?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:33 PM

You got a Florida collecting guide?

61243841.jpg

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:35 PM

You seem to be confused about my level of interest in answering your question.
- No you can't put that fish in a 10 gallon tank
- Yes that fish will eat the other one
- Don't trust wiki-anything. Please read a book

This is a fish forum. I am trying to teach a man to fish.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 fritz

fritz
  • Board of Directors

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:28 PM

Wrong assumption about a "man".  Keep it simple for the "boy".

#6 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 25 August 2015 - 08:12 PM

A Florida Collecting Guide should be in the hand of every NANFan heading to the Sunshine State.

Standard.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#7 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:12 PM

So far, you NANFA guys are really helpful. Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:46 PM

you have almost a month before your trip... grief for three weeks, then some help... maybe

#9 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:57 PM

Wondering if any NANFA members have been to Turkey Creek Park in Niceville FL?  This seems like a nice location with easy access and very close to Fort Walton.

http://cityofnicevil...p?gallery=creek

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#10 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 26 August 2015 - 03:23 PM

Cant help with location,  but just wanted to share my (very) limited experience with taillight shiners:  They are super-sensitive to stress in hot weather, almost silverside-like, and get Flexibacter infection easily.  Transfer them quickly and gently from net to aerated bucket/cooler; dont hold them in your hand admiring their beauty ... you can do that later.  My experience (only twice) was in very soft water in NC and SC in mid-summer; maybe they're not so delicate in harder water, or cooler water (e.g. springs).

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#11 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 26 August 2015 - 07:26 PM

I think they may need sand to feed also. I got a half dozen from a buddy and lost most of them before realizing this. They eat almost sucker-style with their subterminal mouth, making bites at the bottom and seeming to sift out anything good. Even when eating frozen foods, they position their head above it before opening their mouth. Rather interesting.

Derek Wheaton

On a mountain overlooking the North Fork Roanoke River on one side, the New River Valley on the other, and a few minutes away from the James River watershed...the good life...

Enchanting Ectotherms

My Personal Facebook (mostly fish related, if you'd like to add me)

#12 bflowers

bflowers
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 August 2015 - 08:24 PM

One method I have used to get Silversides home is to never let their gills or body to get out of the water. I will have two people hold the seine up to form a bowl. I will then take a cup and dip the fish out of the bowl and gently put them in the bucket. Once I started doing this, I pretty much can get Silversides home with no fatalities. You might try it with Tail Light Shiners.

Bill

#13 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 26 August 2015 - 09:34 PM

The closest freshwater spots I have experience with are about an hour away from Fort Walton Beach. That Turkey Creek site does does look nice. I'm sure it would be worth trying. If you want to do some good saltwater snorkeling, the Destin jetties is nearby. It has a nice beach as well as good snorkeling along the rocks of the jetties.

#14 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 26 August 2015 - 10:22 PM

I think they may need sand to feed also. I got a half dozen from a buddy and lost most of them before realizing this. They eat almost sucker-style with their subterminal mouth, making bites at the bottom and seeming to sift out anything good. Even when eating frozen foods, they position their head above it before opening their mouth. Rather interesting.

That's a very interesting observation.  Has anyone else noticed this?  I haven't had much success with taillights, but I only tried once (and no sand).

#15 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 27 August 2015 - 06:52 AM

One method I have used to get Silversides home is to never let their gills or body to get out of the water. I will have two people hold the seine up to form a bowl. I will then take a cup and dip the fish out of the bowl and gently put them in the bucket. Once I started doing this, I pretty much can get Silversides home with no fatalities. You might try it with Tail Light Shiners.

Bill

Bill, thanks for the tips.  If I find, them I'll be cautious.  I think most of us that have tried to keep Silversides realize they are nearly impossible to get home alive.  I have a nice location for them about 10min from my house, I think I'll try your method.  They usually all die on the way home.

I wonder if that's why the Mirror Shiners from the NC convention didn't do well.  They are similar species.  I brought back 2 of them and they wasted away.  Outside of the plethora of Warpaint shiners, I think the Mirror Shiner was my next favorite from that convention.

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#16 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:19 AM

Here's a few of the other species I'd be happy to find.

Blacktail Shiner: Cyprinella venusta

- Looks like the Yellow River would be the best bet here:

Blacktail+Shiner.jpg

Sailfin Shiner - Pteronotropis hypselopterus

- Looks like some locations near that Turkey Creek site in NIceville

Sailfin+Shiner.jpg

Flagfin Shiner - Pteronotropis signipinnis

- Another possibly found around Turkey Creek, do these co-exist with hypselopterus?

Flagfin+Shiner.jpg

Sharpfin Chubsucker - Erimyzon tenuis

- I'd really like to have a Creek Chubsucker, but this would do.

Sharpfin+Chubsucker.jpg

Who's ready for a FL panhandle convention with a day on the Yellow River........this guy

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#17 fritz

fritz
  • Board of Directors

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:06 AM

sign me up

#18 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 27 August 2015 - 03:52 PM

I'm ready.  I'd love to rediscover the Pteronotropis Bill Ballard and I caught back in the 80's in the far western panhandle which we called broad stripe but looked way different then what is called broad stripe today.

I think there's another Pteronotropis out there.  Bill had caught them before so he probably knows the site but I think I may have offended him unintentionally here on the forum.

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#19 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:56 PM

I wonder if that's why the Mirror Shiners from the NC convention didn't do well.  They are similar species.  I brought back 2 of them and they wasted away.  Outside of the plethora of Warpaint shiners, I think the Mirror Shiner was my next favorite from that convention.

I was thinking this was more a function of intolerance to warmer temperatures. They are restricted to cool blue ridge streams. Same with the greenfin darters we caught. I had both and they ate well, but quickly lost weight and faded.

Derek Wheaton

On a mountain overlooking the North Fork Roanoke River on one side, the New River Valley on the other, and a few minutes away from the James River watershed...the good life...

Enchanting Ectotherms

My Personal Facebook (mostly fish related, if you'd like to add me)

#20 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:05 PM

I can put you onto venusta, signipinnis, and tenuis - but you'll have to come to Mississippi.  I kept tail-lights in outdoor (under my carport) aquaria, on sand.  They did really well until BG Granier came over and scooped 'em all up.  I don't have outside tanks any more, but I can say that the fishes loved it, and did particularly well during the winter (we didn't have any hard freezes for several years running).

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users