Observations

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 25 August 2015 - 09:16 PM

On 8/23/15 I went on a collecting trip on a tip from Derek. The spot was Turkey run in Frederick co, VA. Two darter species came out of this creek, fantail and what I think are juvenile rainbows. They were put in a 37 gallon tank with wood and rocks from the same creek. The rainbows ate mysis shrimp and bloodworms almost immediatly. The fantails still don't seem to get it. The rainbows seem bold where the fantails are shy. Is this common, anyone else had this happen?

Attached Files

Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#2 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 26 August 2015 - 12:07 AM

Get them some substrate! Darters especially appreciate something to bounce around on.

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#3 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:52 AM

Your observations are in line with their behaviors in captivity....although, you've only had them a short while.  As they adjust to seeing you every day, the more visible they'll become.  It looks like you indeed have Fantails and Rainbows.  Congrats.

Nick L.

#4 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 August 2015 - 06:11 AM

Get them some substrate! Darters especially appreciate something to bounce around on.

Substrate is on the way. This setup is temporary, they will have 125 to live in very soon.

#5 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 26 August 2015 - 04:25 PM

Despite their kinda nasty dispositions, my (Carolina)Fantails are consistently out-competed by all my other darters. They are kinda lean, while the rest are healthy to borderline chunko.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#6 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 August 2015 - 05:37 PM

Put some gravel on the bottom today. Seemed to calm the fantails a bit. Rainbows are settling in as fast as store bought tetras. They are tasting pellets. Don't seem to realize its food. Can't wait to grow these guys out. As they settle in I am noticing a bit more color on the front dorsal fin. I have only had them since Sunday and this has already been loads of fun. My wife totally ignores my reef but thinks the darters are "too cute"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users