Photo

Darters In TN, VA, KY

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zapins

zapins
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:13 PM

I was wondering what species of darters can be found near the tristate point between TN, VA, KY? I'm in Harrogate TN and can drive pretty much in any direction to look for darters in the area.

I'm also interested in whether (and where) it is legal to collect a few darters to breed? I understand some of them are legally off limits, but I am not sure where to look to find out which ones in particular.

#2 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:52 AM

Well,

You have asked a very broad question, with multiple states involved.  

1st, NANFA is not a governing body, so please look into all laws.  

2nd, you cannot keep any darters caught in TN.  Also, because of TN strict laws,  you may/may not be able to keep fish captured from other states that are native to TN.  

3rd,  please be aware of what fish are listed as threatened, endangered, or special concern.  These fish cannot be legally/ethically collected and kept.  Because of your location, you can potentially run into T&E species, KY, VA, and TN have plenty.

4th, if you are going to travel and collect darters, please get a Peterson's guide and know what fish you are looking at prior to taking it home, this will limit the chance of taking home a sensitive species.

Now, ready to collect Fish? 1st, I'd say look up a NANFA regional representative and discuss collecting with that person.  2nd, each of the states you mentioned (excluding TN) have great resources on their websites to find fish.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#3 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 28 August 2015 - 09:16 AM

I'll second what Josh said, and vaguely add that you will be in darter central in that area.  Be sure to wear a tight belt whenever and wherever you go collecting as the diversity of darters is sure to blow your shorts off.

Nick L.

#4 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 29 August 2015 - 10:00 AM

Now, ready to collect Fish? 1st, I'd say look up a NANFA regional representative and discuss collecting with that person.  2nd, each of the states you mentioned (excluding TN) have great resources on their websites to find fish.

As Josh said, be very careful about legal considerations in these areas. Unfortunately Tennessee does limit people to catch-look-release. I'm not familiar with how their laws relate to species not indigenous to TN, or to fish collected outside TN, so definitely look into that. If it happens that this is still something you're interested in, even just to look and learn and release, let me know if you're interested in coming into VA to do so, because I'm your regional rep for VA.

Also, Tennessee may not have various public sources for up to date distribution data, but they do have among the best "Fishes of" books around, and it's freely accessible in PDF for. Check this out: http://newfoundpress...du/pubs/fishes/

Good luck!

Derek Wheaton

On a mountain overlooking the North Fork Roanoke River on one side, the New River Valley on the other, and a few minutes away from the James River watershed...the good life...

Enchanting Ectotherms

My Personal Facebook (mostly fish related, if you'd like to add me)

#5 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 30 August 2015 - 05:11 PM

Also, I'm the KY regional representative. I'm from SE KY so I'm well versed in locations and species in your area near KY.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users