Photo

Where are we on the Bartram's Bass issue?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fish2DMax

Fish2DMax
  • NANFA Guest
  • Suwanee, GA

Posted 29 August 2015 - 06:25 PM

I have been following this topic for some time and can offer some first hand knowledge. Many locals will simply refer to this as the common name Redeye Bass. I have attached a picture from 2012 of a 15" fish that was caught and released in Lake Hartwell near these coordinates 34.477599, -82.986752. Note the banded black vertical bars or blotches, which are not connected pattern on the side. In the water they are very colorful and look almost like a tiger stripe. Most of these fish we sample are ten inches long but occasionally you find a nicer sized one. Even the smaller ones show this black vertical bar coloration pattern.

An old article from The Augusta Chronicle is found here - http://chronicle.aug...av_525106.shtml

Attached is the picture I spoke of Attached File  Hartwell Redeye Apr2012.jpg   35.23KB   1 downloads and a Species of Conservation Concern information sheet from the State of South Carolina Attached File  bartramsredeyebass2015.pdf   182.17KB   5 downloads

So for a lively discussion topic I offer the query where are we on the Bartram's Bass issue and what will it take to make this a true Coosa Bass sub species?

Best Regards,
Jerry A

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 29 August 2015 - 07:02 PM

Here you might find this interesting... it is a few years old... and elevates other species, but not Bartram's... yet

http://forum.nanfa.o...-species-group/

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 fritz

fritz
  • Board of Directors

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:56 AM

As far as I know, Bud Freeman from UGA and Joe Quattro, USC are working on the description of the Bartram's Bass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users