Trout Tank

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 BrookKeeper

BrookKeeper
  • NANFA Guest
  • Shenandoah Valley, VA

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:17 PM

Hello NANFA, this is my first post here, and I will admit I have only just scratched the surface on this forum. Thought I would just jump in with my stock list and see where the conversation goes from there... so here you have it!

125 gallon (72x16x22) + 30 gallon sump

2 - Clinostomus funduloides - Mountain Redbelly Dace
4 - Chrosomus oreas - Rosyside Dace
2 - Luxilus albeolus - White Shiner
5 - Rhinichthys atratulus - Blacknose Dace
3 - Semotilus atromaculatus - Creek Chub
3 - Noturus insignus - Margined Madtom
4 - Salvelinus fontinalis - Brook Trout
1 - Cottus bairdi - Mottled Sculpin
4 - Etheostoma flabilare - Fantail Darter
1 - Percina roanoka - Roanoke Darter

I hope you have questions!

#2 sbtgrfan

sbtgrfan
  • NANFA Member
  • Charleston, SC

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:34 PM

What's your temperature?
Stephen Beaman
Freshwater Aquarist
South Carolina Aquarium
Charleston, SC

#3 BrookKeeper

BrookKeeper
  • NANFA Guest
  • Shenandoah Valley, VA

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:38 PM

At the moment, 13*C. Worry not, I am chilled...

#4 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:03 PM

Noticed you live in Virginia in the Shenandoah valley. Same here, what town are you close to?
Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#5 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 03 September 2015 - 10:26 PM

Don't know if there is a size limit on native trout in your state, but I do know from a recent trip that just across the border in WV that there is none. So 2 inch hook and line caught brook trout are legal to keep. Quite rare to allow such small fish to be kept, but nice for a person who wanted to start with very small native char(more appropriate). Surely plentiful in the right places. Also the state has both northern and southern forms. Divided mostly if not completely by the divide. Potomac watershed holds the northern brook trout. Elsewhere it is the southern.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#6 BrookKeeper

BrookKeeper
  • NANFA Guest
  • Shenandoah Valley, VA

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:01 PM

Don't know if there is a size limit on native trout in your state, but I do know from a recent trip that just across the border in WV that there is none. So 2 inch hook and line caught brook trout are legal to keep. Quite rare to allow such small fish to be kept, but nice for a person who wanted to start with very small native char(more appropriate). Surely plentiful in the right places. Also the state has both northern and southern forms. Divided mostly if not completely by the divide. Potomac watershed holds the northern brook trout. Elsewhere it is the southern.

I was not aware of the low size regulation in WV, but VA has a 7" limit. Currently, my largest brookie is pushing 9" while my smallest is about 5". Fortunately for me (and the law) these fish were collected on a scientific permit, between 99-132 mm. After completion of my graduate research, I spared as many fish as I could from the fatal dose of MS-222. They were collected in the James basin, although I would hesitate to make the north/south differentiation without the genetic analysis to back it up. I don't think they can defined so simply by basin given the long and messy stocking and translocation history, and I would argue that the Potomac/James delineation is a thing of convenience rather than science. 

#7 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:28 PM

That was my simple understanding. All brook trout that were from waters that were Atlantic drainage were northern and all gulf drainage brook trout were southern. This only accounts for wild brook trout, not stocked. Now there are plenty of stocked northern brook trout in southern states and in the range of southern brook trout. Mostly in those areas the native trout are separated from stocked brook, rainbow, and brown trout by some sort of natural barrier.

#8 BrookKeeper

BrookKeeper
  • NANFA Guest
  • Shenandoah Valley, VA

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:57 PM

Even under that simple understanding, you are would need to include the James along with the Potomac here in VA.

#9 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 04 September 2015 - 03:17 AM

Well, I suppose that is true, I was in WV. I think the only Atlantic drainage in the state is the Potomac. I have not spent much time in VA, so I do not understand it's watersheds that well. I am just speaking of my understanding of what separates brook trout into two strains? Not sure what to call it, as though it seems highly recognized, I have not seen it raised to sub species status and recognized as such yet.

Probably my favorite fish. I would love to keep a few, but without an easy place to get young fish, I have never been serious about it. However learning of the WV laws which have no size restriction, I may have to revisit the idea. I certainly caught plenty that were small enough to easily transport and acclimate to aquarium life, and plenty to make a nice meal for my family as well.

#10 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:37 AM

Nice to see you here, Brook Keeper! I'm dive on MFK.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#11 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 04 September 2015 - 07:49 AM

Just wait until he posts his pics and vids of his tank  :D/

Welcome officially to NANFA BrookKeeper!

Kevin Wilson

#12 BrookKeeper

BrookKeeper
  • NANFA Guest
  • Shenandoah Valley, VA

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:36 AM

Hey Dive and Chas, glad to have some familiar folks over here. As for pics and vids, I haven't yet figured out how all that works over here, seems a bit more file size restricted here than on MFK, but maybe there is a work around by posting to the gallery and then linking to a thread? Anyway, for the time being, I don't have much new material, and I didn't see the point in duplicating my MFK thread here unless prompted to... That's why I went with the stocking list and figured I would see where that took things.

#13 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:41 AM

When you post go to more reply options then upload file to post pictures.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#14 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:43 AM

I should use the gallery for stuff that I post here exclusively (my future plan)...but so far all my pics are on Photobucket.  I mainly use it out of convenience.

Kevin Wilson

#15 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:07 AM

Pics, or it didn't happen :)

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#16 BrookKeeper

BrookKeeper
  • NANFA Guest
  • Shenandoah Valley, VA

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:17 AM

Pics, or it didn't happen :)

In the short term, the best proof I can provide is a link to another forum... You can find a load of pics and vids of this tank here:

http://www.monsterfi...ut-tank.646910/

While I have greater appreciation for the NANFA forum in terms of value beyond a website (I paid my dues along with my first post), the MFK forum is just a little more user friendly in my experience... I will try to grab some new content and upload it here, rather than duplicating the content previously posted on MKF. I think there are still a few species in the tank that I have never taken a clean photo of, I will have to work on those next. Specifically the madtoms, they are hard to catch as I have provided them with ample hides...

#17 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:34 AM

Sorry man, I didn't mean to put the pressure on you...  

Kevin Wilson

#18 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:07 AM

BrookKeeper,

I don't have you updated yet to membership status (all our systems are manual... I will get it soon I am sure), but once you are a member here you will have access to the gallery archive where you can post pictures and then link to them here so that they show up in the thread (not just the link).  The Gallery Archive (see above) is a great resource for NANFA Members (also a manual process, but go ahead and start creating an account, again I have to approve, but if it is in the queue we can make it happen as soon as your membership comes through).

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#19 BrookKeeper

BrookKeeper
  • NANFA Guest
  • Shenandoah Valley, VA

Posted 04 September 2015 - 10:52 AM

Sorry man, I didn't mean to put the pressure on you...  

No worries, Chas... I am not really feeling any pressure, I know my tank is real, and I am sure others will appreciate the pictures whenever they do appear!

BrookKeeper,

I don't have you updated yet to membership status (all our systems are manual... I will get it soon I am sure), but once you are a member here you will have access to the gallery archive where you can post pictures and then link to them here so that they show up in the thread (not just the link).  The Gallery Archive (see above) is a great resource for NANFA Members (also a manual process, but go ahead and start creating an account, again I have to approve, but if it is in the queue we can make it happen as soon as your membership comes through).

Thanks for the information, Michael. I did a little snooping with the search function and found where others had asked about the member status "upgrade," so I knew it would take a few days. Although I have made several posts in the last 24 hours, believe it or not I do have more important things in life to worry about! So no rush. I will look into the gallery setup when I get the chance. The more important question is: Do I get a sticker for being a member!? I love me some stickers, and I know just what water bottle it would land on... Thanks again for the info.

#20 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 04 September 2015 - 04:37 PM

No free stickers... but there are really great stickers that you can buy here...

http://www.nanfa.org/cart.shtml

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users