Photo

Potomac River, 8/29/2015 and 9/7/2015

5 replies to this topic

#1 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:11 PM

The river was low and gin clear, allowing for easy wade fishing and some time to snap a few pictures of our finned friends.  I've posted them in the gallery.  Hope you like them.  I think that the darters pictured are Etheostoma blennioides.  There were several different species present along with some sculpins, but I had a very hard time getting them to be photogenic.

Scenery Shot
Album: The Chasmodes Perspective
31 images
0 comments

Kevin Wilson

#2 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:36 PM

Nice pics. The Potomac looks great there.
Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#3 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 10 September 2015 - 04:55 AM

Looks like a great day. Smallies are always fun, and there's just something intriguing about the Rockies. They always warranted a few seconds extra admiration before release when I was a kid. Thanks for posting!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#4 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:51 AM

Great pictures. I have a MUCH different perspective of the Potomac being in and around D.C. Even on its best day, the water still looks like a river made of Yoohoo. Glad it's still nice up your way. Looks like there were tons of Greensides! Your regurgitated fish is hard to make out. Kind of looks like a little hogsucker but very blurry.
Nick L.

#5 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:35 AM

Minnows:  The round-bodied ones (including head-on view of "Sup?") may be Fallfish.  The two Cyprinella pix look like spotfin, or maybe satinfin shiners.   Common shiners ought to be in there somewhere too, but I cant make out any in your pix.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#6 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:02 PM

Thanks Gerald for the IDs!  i was thinking fallfish on the "sup" one, but wasn't sure.  Fallfish makes more sense though.

Nick, it definitely was a catfish, had the characteristic spines.  I'm just not sure if it is a madtom or a juvenile of another species.  Looking back, I should have not used the blurry picture.  It was the only one that I took.

Kevin Wilson

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users