Photo

Musconetcong River Trip 2015

2 replies to this topic

#1 loopsnj64

loopsnj64
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 12 September 2015 - 08:59 PM

I went to Hopatcong State Park to get to where the river flows out of Lake Hopatcong, and despite the iffy weather (rain, chance of thunder that thankfully never came), i was able to see and catch a decent amount of fish and crayfish, i used only a dipnet.

Heres a list of species i spotted or caught

• Devil Crayfish (not the painted kind)
  • Hellgramite
  • Trout (saw juveniles near the shore)
  • Bullhead (caught and released in vallisnera cluster)
  • Banded Killifish (saw several dozen in "calm" pools of deeper water)
  • Asian Clams (in the hundreds)
  • Various Aquatic Worms

I kept 2 of the Crayfish (out of about a 14 caught) and the 1 Banded killifish i was able to catch, I also collected a single vallisnera plant,  everything else i caught was released

"All good things must come to an end, but bad things think thats rather dull, so they stick around long after their natural end has come"

-From an art book I read

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:19 PM

Were the devil crayfish in water? I was under the impression that they were always burrowers and chimney builders. We have plenty in my area, but unless they are moving on a rainy night, you have to get them at the burrow entrance, or stick something into the hole and get them to grab hold. Different species? I believe we have diogenes. The painted is ludovicianus.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 loopsnj64

loopsnj64
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:03 AM

I honestly only chose devil crayfish because appearance wise the unpainted form matched the ones i caught, i guess that makes it either virile, common or some other species then

"All good things must come to an end, but bad things think thats rather dull, so they stick around long after their natural end has come"

-From an art book I read

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users