Photo

Fantail Darters in Southern Indiana?

6 replies to this topic

#1 millionk

millionk
  • NANFA Guest
  • Bloomington, IN

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:34 PM

I'm a first-year grad student in Curt Lively's lab at Indiana University. I'd like to get some fantails out of Indiana, preferably the southern portion, for a research project on darters and their gill parasites.  I saw a thread on here discussing Indiana sites where fantails are abundant, but it was a little old, so I was wondering if anyone had some recent insight on where I could start looking for abundant populations?  The more specific you can be about the collection sites, the better.

Thanks,

---Kara.

Edited by millionk, 17 September 2015 - 10:30 PM.

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:51 AM

Without any real data to go on, I would think that you should have no trouble finding them. Should be in most rivers and streams. I would concentrate on medium size tributaries and smaller. You already know all of that I am sure. Maybe Mike Berg, our Indiana rep could be of some help. Being just across the state line on the eastern side of Cincinnati, I can't hardly see how you could go wrong. Pick any medium size stream and there are likely good populations. Brian Zimmerman may also be of some help. He has a database that probably includes some Indiana stream samplings. Good luck.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 20 September 2015 - 11:09 AM

I am from southern Indiana and know of  some honey holes worth checking.  Several have very strong populations and are very easy to get to.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#4 millionk

millionk
  • NANFA Guest
  • Bloomington, IN

Posted 20 September 2015 - 10:03 PM

Honey holes, eh?  I would certainly appreciate your expertise!

#5 natureman187

natureman187
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 21 September 2015 - 11:49 AM

Have you sampled any streams prior looking for Fantails?

Sangamon River Valley

#6 millionk

millionk
  • NANFA Guest
  • Bloomington, IN

Posted 21 September 2015 - 04:03 PM

Have you sampled any streams prior looking for Fantails?

Not yet.  I just settled into a new lab here (I just graduated out of Bruce Stallsmith's lab at UAH), and I have to fill out quite a bit of paperwork before IU will allow me to start sampling (the DNR is less of an issue, but the BIACUC protocols are quite involved).

#7 Mike

Mike
  • Regional Rep
  • Indiana

Posted 21 September 2015 - 07:56 PM

Unfortunately I never really looked for Fantails in Indiana, they always seemed to turn up here and there while looking for other species.

If  centrarchid has some honey holes I would go with what he says.

Mike Berg
Northwest Indiana

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users