Photo

new to natives, setting up native tank

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Alexp08

Alexp08
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:21 PM

Hello, I was directed here by a member of another forum. I am thinking of switching over my 75gal cichlid tank to a native tank. I live in western Maryland so im hoping to collect the fish locally. So i have a list of questions im hoping some of you can help me with. 

First is it legal to keep native fish in MD?!

Next im hoping to have multiple fish in my tank and maybe a multi species tank, it is a 75 gal soo what fish would you guys recommend, and is a 75gal even big enough.

what water parameters am i looking at, ph, hardness, etc. 

I think thats it for now, thanks in advanced. 

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:36 PM

Try the search function. I think there was a recent discussion about MD laws.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:54 PM

I'm not from your state, but looking here... http://www.eregulati...ryland/fishing/ 

...I would say that it does look legal to collect non-game fish with a seine.  Keep reading your regular fishing license regulations, but I think you could be OK.

A 75 gallon tank would be a great multi-species stream tank with shiners and minnows and darters and chubs (OK, that is my personal bias on fish selection, but the answer is still yes, as long as you are talking about smaller fish).  There are some NANFA members out your way that can maybe advise you on some great local fish.

Welcome.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Alexp08

Alexp08
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:58 PM

I was thinking about some type of sunfish. Possibly bluegill or punkinseed? Ive also heard about bullhead catfish being used, would they be suitable?  I was also just thinking about a cpuple crayfish

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:03 PM

I will let others encourage you... I think crayfish and catfish are devils... and sunfish are not really good neighbors... but hey lots of people love em... just not me...

I mean, how could you not love some stream fishes?  :biggrin:

Attached File  chub.jpg   39.48KB   3 downloads

Attached File  logperch.jpg   35.02KB   3 downloads

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Alexp08

Alexp08
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:50 PM

Those are very cool looking.  But I'm wondering where i would get them near my location. I was hoping tobe able to stay local in my search.

#7 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:29 AM

Kevin Wilson, aka Chasmodes here on the forum, is in central MD and can probably give you some insight. Hopefully he chimes in.

If you're into beefier tropicals like the bigger cichlids, then the sunfishes may be a natural segue into natives for you. I think p-seeds are some downright beautiful fish, would love to have the tank for a couple. That said, I will agree with Michael on a couple things; any fish with whiskers is cool in my book, but if they come from North America they're not going to be friendly with much of anything. Also,for the longest time I kept crays as housekeepers in my 55g stream tank. No problems at all. Then one day my favorite bull Christmas Darter was found listing on the bottom with a massive puncture wound. Crays were gone that day. That said, prey sized crays in a tank of crayfish-eating species may work...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#8 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:57 AM

Alex, the best thing to start off doing is find the nearest creek and pop in.  Seine up some fish, take pictures stream-side and release them.  Post said pictures on here and we can assist you with ID's and captive requirements for those fish if you wish to keep them.  Even if you catch the most abundant and common species around you, I still think you'll enjoy keeping them.  The other option is to research what fish you want to keep and someone can point you in the direction of where to find them.  You should have a pretty good selection of natives on the western side of the state.  

If you've never kept natives before there are a lot of directions you can go with a 75g tank.  All of the fish [that can reasonably be kept in a 75] are fun to keep and you're always going to find people who prefer some groups of fish over others.  Take some time to stroll through the forum.  You'll quickly find what works and what doesn't in regards to keeping different groups of fish together (IE, sunfish with darters & shiners).  However, it has and can be done.  But it isn't worth deliberately putting stuff together if you know fish A will pick on or eat fish B.  Trial and error is what got all of us to the point we are at now.  

Nick L.

#9 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 24 September 2015 - 10:48 AM

Alex, the best thing to start off doing is find the nearest creek and pop in.  Seine up some fish, take pictures stream-side and release them.  Post said pictures on here and we can assist you with ID's and captive requirements for those fish if you wish to keep them.  Even if you catch the most abundant and common species around you, I still think you'll enjoy keeping them.  The other option is to research what fish you want to keep and someone can point you in the direction of where to find them.  You should have a pretty good selection of natives on the western side of the state.  

If you've never kept natives before there are a lot of directions you can go with a 75g tank.  All of the fish [that can reasonably be kept in a 75] are fun to keep and you're always going to find people who prefer some groups of fish over others.  Take some time to stroll through the forum.  You'll quickly find what works and what doesn't in regards to keeping different groups of fish together (IE, sunfish with darters & shiners).  However, it has and can be done.  But it isn't worth deliberately putting stuff together if you know fish A will pick on or eat fish B.  Trial and error is what got all of us to the point we are at now.  

This.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#10 loopsnj64

loopsnj64
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:18 PM

I have some suggestions for what to put in the 75 gallon

• A male/female pair of sunfish (especially pumpkinseeds), this is trial and error until you get an established pair
  • A stream fish only tank, few plants, sand/gravel mix, current, in this you would keep darters, shiners, dace, sculpin, madtom etc.
  • A heavily planted lake based tank with fish like pirate perch, mudminnows, pygmy sunfishes etc.
  • Something based off a local fish habitat near you
  • While i am aware these can be a little tricky (and would not work with large cichlids) you could try mixing some of the smaller natives with tropicals I've done it with some good success 

"All good things must come to an end, but bad things think thats rather dull, so they stick around long after their natural end has come"

-From an art book I read

#11 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:04 PM

• A stream fish only tank, few plants, sand/gravel mix, current, in this you would keep darters, shiners, dace, sculpin, madtom etc.
  • Something based off a local fish habitat near you

This is it!

#12 Alexp08

Alexp08
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:09 AM

So my cousin caught this out of his local pond and sent it to me. I think its either a blue gill or punkinseed. buuuut i could be completely wrong. 

Attached Files

#13 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:22 AM

bluegill... look at the light blue color all along the bottom of the "jaw line" which is also the bottom edge of the gill.

#14 Alexp08

Alexp08
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:55 AM

hahaha hints the name "bluegill". thanks! 

#15 Alexp08

Alexp08
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 26 September 2015 - 11:11 AM

so what am i looking at, water parameters wise to keep a couple of these guys?

#16 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 26 September 2015 - 02:52 PM

Assuming you are familiar with aquariums and understand a cycled system, not much else to worry about. They can deal with a variety of pH levels. So regular water changes or plants.

#17 Alexp08

Alexp08
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 27 September 2015 - 07:04 PM

would there be any tank mates for these guys?

#18 Alexp08

Alexp08
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:06 AM

?

#19 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:36 PM

Alex, Keeping sunfish together and/or with other species is one of the most discussed topics on this forum.  I/were are not trying to snub you at all.  Just do a quick search and look at all the information people have posted about keeping sunfish!  Part of the fun is trying things out for yourself.  Catch some big shiners, see how they do.  Throw in a crayfish.  Toss in a catfish.  See what works, what doesn't.  It'll make you wiser and able to share your personal successes & failures with others.

Good luck.  Bluegill are fun and can be a handsome fish.

Nick L.

#20 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 02 October 2015 - 10:14 PM

That is about the gist of it. Nobody really has a recipe for keeping sunfish. Seems like trial and error for everyone. You can read all about it, but you really have to give it a shot and see what works in your tank. Certainly take some of the advice you find. Good luck.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users