Orange Throats collected this past week

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:07 PM

Collected these guys with my new net (made from old net frame with laundry netting sewn to it). Caught them in a narrow riffle about 2 foot wide. Before collecting these guys with the net, I spotted some big males displaying to the females in some 4ft of water near a rootwad, tried to catch them with hook and line but they didn't bite, I had a tiny scud imitation fly I tied on a micro hook, forgot the size but around size 22 or 24. They would curiously inspect the fly but wouldn't bite.
Attached File  drt3.jpg   32.18KB   3 downloads
Attached File  drt2.jpg   31.55KB   4 downloads
Attached File  Drt1.jpg   33.33KB   2 downloads

#2 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:18 PM

those are some nice fish I wish we had some fish like that around here but I was wondering if that neting you used had any durablity to it?

#3 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:27 PM

Great looking darters.

#4 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

Guest_troutperch beeman_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:47 PM

Those are beautiful!!!! I need to move out of NY so I can collect some colorful darters. ;) . They are calling for a foot of snow here tomorrow. :mad: :mad: :cry: :cry:

#5 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:07 PM

Those are beautiful!!!! I need to move out of NY so I can collect some colorful darters. ;) .

AGREED!!!! The area of NY I live in is pretty much devoid of darter diversity and the few species we have are various shades of brown. Still interesting to watch but very much lacking in the color department. We have others in various places around the state but you gotta do some traveling...at least where I'm from.

#6 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:18 PM

Dang it! They are calling for some snow here too! Couldn't believe it...last monday was 80F! What a change.

#7 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2007 - 09:52 PM

Yeah, well, opening day of trout season is going to be cold and rainy here tomorrow. I'd rather get snowed on than rained on. Sunday will be even colder and rainier. Oh well.

#8 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2007 - 08:30 PM

dont know about you guys but its suposed to go down to 66F on sunday burr thats cold

#9 Guest_fisgokie_*

Guest_fisgokie_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2007 - 11:29 PM

ha tomorrow 72 and wed. 81 hura!!!!

#10 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2007 - 05:28 PM

dont know about you guys but its suposed to go down to 66F on sunday burr thats cold

Come up here! this time of year 35+ degrees is no-jacket weather :)

#11 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:06 PM

Redecorated my Darter tank with some rocks I collected.
Attached File  DartTankside1.jpg   21.98KB   2 downloads

Attached File  DartTankFront.jpg   28.96KB   2 downloads

Attached File  Tankwithplants.jpg   33.5KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Top1.jpg   22.69KB   2 downloads

Attached File  DartFlare.jpg   36.72KB   2 downloads

Attached File  Dartonrock1.jpg   26.79KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Dartonrock2.jpg   18.39KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Dartonrock3.jpg   43.9KB   1 downloads

#12 Guest_madtom15_*

Guest_madtom15_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2007 - 05:24 PM

Beautiful tank. I might even call it elegant...

#13 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2007 - 06:16 PM

Beautiful tank. I might even call it elegant...

I like the pretty blue flasks of potion...

#14 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 26 April 2007 - 04:05 PM

Romulan Ale...?

I like the pretty blue flasks of potion...

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#15 Guest_wolfie8000_*

Guest_wolfie8000_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:11 PM

Awesome fish and a excellent tank. =D> =D>

#16 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:22 PM

Hey thanks guys. I check on Romulan Ale. Seems like some pretty strong stuff!
I got those bottles from Michael's when I picked up some river rocks, just though the look cool, and I added some of the water I do my water testing with and the color has stayed for a few months now. I am just really glad the darters are eating, as soon as I stand in front of the tank they start getting to the surface.
Did anyone notice this, I noticed everytime I shut the lights out when its night, as soon as the lights go out the darters start flaring their dorsals and anal fins...look pretty cool so I try to take pics of them when they do that. Is that a defense mechanism when they go to sleep? like the spines of the fins deter predators or let them feel around?

#17 Guest_Elgonte_*

Guest_Elgonte_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2007 - 05:34 PM

Very nice tank! Is that powerfilter able to lift the water that high? Or is that powerhead helping it out? Also...I see you have some type of clear plastic helping the water back into the tank...I assume this is to prevent splashing. Does it just run down it? Thanks. Looks great.

#18 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:29 PM

Hey Elgonte good eye, I didn't you could see that in the photo. I did use some clear plastic. At first I was gonna use some 1/8 Acrylic sheets but then decided on the free clear plastic I got from my son's action figure boxes. I had some on the back of the tank so the rocks won't scratch the acrylic tank. I also put one on the outflow of the filter to help the water down so its silent. This also helps prevent water splashes on the front of the tank and makes it look like a water fall.
The filter did lift the water all the way up...I was surprised, it actually still lifted the water even when it was 2-3 inches lower. Its an old whisper power filter 40 I got like back in 2000. The powerhead was used to create a current running over those greenish rocks like a riffle. You can also see a rock thats covered in java moss, I didn't like the salt and pepper granite look so I tied java moss on it two weeks ago and its grown since.
I am still wanting to put some good lighting on it, right now I am using some lights from a 10 gallon tank, around 18 inches so its not that bright. I put an extra on the back. But what I really want it to install some fixture to the original light housing(which was not included when I bought the tank), I think it takes 24inch bulbs. I just dont know much about electric stuff so I haven't fumbled with it. Do they sell simple fixtures that I can just screw onto the plastic light housing and just add the bulbs?

#19 Guest_troutperch beeman_*

Guest_troutperch beeman_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:16 PM

Nice tank =D> =D> =D> I like the falls.

Do they sell simple fixtures that I can just screw onto the plastic light housing and just add the bulbs?

I would consider using a double incandescent bulb holder and using some screw in fluorescent bulbs. They give off good wattage and are energy efficient. I have had pretty good luck growing plants under them. I like the "natural light" verity.

#20 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:37 AM

I have some of those new flourescent bulbs, I use them in most of my lights, but they wont fit the housing that came with it...pretty slim like around 2.5 inch high(looking from the side).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users