Photo

Looking for a larger madtom species

6 replies to this topic

#1 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 27 September 2015 - 02:37 PM

I'm looking for a madtom to join two longear sunfish and a warmouth in a 65g tank. We have tadpole madtoms and freckled madtoms in the area, but they're too small- they'll be eaten. The warmouth is about 4" right now, so there's time for a new arrival to grow, but it needs to get fairly large.

Does anyone have a slightly larger species of madtom for sale or know where I can get one? I'm not picky about species, just something large enough that a full-sized warmouth won't be able to eat it and won't try to eat it. A stonecat could work.

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 27 September 2015 - 03:18 PM

http://forum.nanfa.o...argined +madtom

Check out that thread above.  If you want these two bad cats, contact me via PM and I could likely get them to you.  They grew up with sandwich. one of them even made a guest appearance in this video.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:47 AM

I have a hard time believing that a Longear or Warmouth could eat a full grown Tadpole madtom.  I would feel completely safe putting those species together.

Nick L.

#4 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:03 PM

I'm not worried about the longears, but warmouths have pretty big mouths. I'm more concerned that the warmouth would try and end up choking. He's a greedy-guts. 

#5 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 28 September 2015 - 04:54 PM

My 2 cents are that an adult warmouth couldn't fit an adult tadpole madtom in its pie hole. But no problem in being safe. Chances are they'd never meet unless you got your cats to come out during the day to feed.
Nick L.

#6 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 28 September 2015 - 05:55 PM

I am still licensed. If you don't find a stonecat or something suitable I will sell you one this fall as temps cool down.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#7 butch

butch
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 28 September 2015 - 07:46 PM

You'll be fine with tadpole madtoms.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users