10 gallon native tank

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 04 October 2015 - 02:31 PM

I need some advice and suggestions in my new tank, some background, mid-ground, foreground and floating plants for a Florida wild tank. Here's stocking ideas
1)
7-8 least killis
3-4 swamp darters
1 Florida flagfish
X amount of ghost shrimp
Random native snails
2)
3-4 Everglades Pygmy sunfish
3-4 swamp darter
1 Florida flagfish
X amount of ghost shrimp
Random native snails
3)
Eastern newts
X amount of ghost shrimp
Random native snails

Attached Files

#2 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 04 October 2015 - 05:05 PM

I like choice #1, only swap out the flagfish for a newt, maybe.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#3 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:29 PM

is that gravel, you can't even buy gravel in Fl,  everything is limestone, least killies, bluefin killies, and a swamp darter, heavily planted.

#4 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:42 PM

Sorry I have gravel :( I collected the sand here

#5 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 04 October 2015 - 06:42 PM

It's gravely sand

#6 Auban

Auban
  • NANFA Member

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:42 AM

the gravely sand will work. it wont stay put in a pile like that, but the gravel its self should be fine.  the natives you mentioned are fairly flexible.  

as mentioned before, i would swap out the flag fish.  flag fish can be kinda mean.  i would go with blue fin killifish.

"The ecologist is continually having to look at the aspects of nature with which he is unfamiliar and perforce must be an amateur for much of his working time.... professionals may carp at omissions, misconstructions, or even downright errors in these pages. perhaps ultimately they may forgive them for the sake of the overall vision that only the amateur, or the ecologist, blithely sets out to experience."G. Evelyn Hutchinson

#7 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:53 PM

But I really want least killis, I like the wild patterning

#8 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:37 PM

least killies are really easy and fun

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:10 PM

Elassoma

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#10 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 06 October 2015 - 03:25 AM

Elassoma

The other side offers a counter-argument:

Least killies don't need live food. They have neat little behaviors that make them fun to watch. They can look FABULOUS under incandescent lights, glowing gold drops suspended in the water column. (Swamp darters will probably vacuum up the newborns, which are live-born of course, but quite small and narrow.)

In a 10, all of the candidates discussed would probably be happier with an air-driven sponge filter than a HOB filter that creates a significant current.  

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#11 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:43 AM

Leptolucania
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#12 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:04 PM

So I will have just jungle val, hornwort. What sponge filter? I was thinking the petsmart 20 internal w/ spray bar

#13 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:30 PM

expanding on Doug's comment a sponge filter is the way to go especially with least killies, they are so small they will get sucked up into the intake tube of standard filters unless you improvise a cover, i sometimes use a fine mesh bag from fish store

#14 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:54 PM

What kind of sponge filter

#15 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:09 AM

a sponge filter is sponge with an airline, you can buy them at most independent pet stores, online, or even at some chainstore, it has no intake tube, the airline creates a venturi suction that draws water through the sponge, it is placed at bottom of aquarium

#16 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 08 October 2015 - 06:48 AM

Oh, okay! How many ghost shrimp if it's DENSLEY planted with hornwort, foxtail and myrophilia

#17 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:07 AM

I can't stay out of this without saying though non-native (and that may mess up your theme) but I would go with red cherry shrimp. They will breed very easily, are more interesting IMO, and you can sell any excess to offset food costs. Put a half dozen-a dozen in there. Their young will probably keep your darters fed.

Ghost shrimp do not reproduce nearly as well. Their young go through a larval phase. RCS juveniles hatch out as tiny versions of the adults.

My two cents.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#18 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:15 AM

thanks Matt, was wondering why i never saw any little shrimp in my tank, cherry shrimp are also more visible, gotta get close to watch ghost shrimp, which scares bluefin killies and pygmy sunfish

#19 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 09 October 2015 - 01:04 PM

So, I don't know what native Florida plants for the ten gallon, NEED sugestions please

#20 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 09 October 2015 - 02:24 PM

Valisnaria is native

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users