Photo

fish id, no pic just description

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Alexp08

Alexp08
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 October 2015 - 01:51 PM

So first i live in Allegany County in Western MD. I took my dog to the potomac river to play. While she was swimming i was looking for some crayfish. However i over turned a rock and saw a fish dart out. I tried to grap it but no luck. So on with the description. 

First it reminded me of a yoyo loach in terms of body shape and white with some black marks on it. The fins had blue on their edges. it was about 1-1.5 inch long. Im going to go back and see if i can catch one. but a name would be awesome. Thanks

#2 Alexp08

Alexp08
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 October 2015 - 03:11 PM

Ok so i went back down without my dog. I saw a couple more, one was bigger about 2in. It appeared to be more tan then before but still have the blue tipped fins

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 10 October 2015 - 03:33 PM

Sounds like a darter to me.  According to Freshwater Fishes of the Carolinas, Virginia, Maryland & Delaware, the only darter I see in your range with "blue fins" would maybe be a greenside darter.  Fins are sort of a bluegreen, and the fish would be less colorful as we enter into the fall.  For comparison, here is an excellent photo by my friend Lance Merry.

Now you need to catch one and give us a photo! 

DSC_0344.jpg

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Alexp08

Alexp08
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 October 2015 - 04:28 PM

Well i could only see top down but it didnt look that colorful. Im going back tomorrow to try again. But its very hard!

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 10 October 2015 - 04:33 PM

Wouldn't be that colorful this time of year... and fish are not usually colored that much when viewed from above... if they were the herons would have eliminated them all by now.  Fish coloration is often for other fish to see (mates or rivals) and only really shows up best from a side shot.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Alexp08

Alexp08
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:37 PM

I would love for it to be those guys! Any recommendations on how to catch them?

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:38 PM

You need a new (maybe a seine or maybe a perfect dipnet) then you place it downstream of where you think the darters are.  Then you shuffle your feet and do the darter dance into the net, see these links (a pictures worth a thousand words).

http://www.nanfa.org...ollecting.shtml

#8 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:37 AM

That gives you an idea of seining, but it does not always have to be that athletic. This is in pretty fast high water. Obviously conditions vary. 3 people are not essential. 2 are just fine, and with a small 4 foot seine, a single person can fish with it, though with some difficulty.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:18 AM

Matt's totally correct, that was just the only video I had.  You can eve do this with a perfect dipnet.  Especially if you think you know where the fish is under a rock or something.  

Net (of any size) down stream + people (of any number) disturbing the bottom and moving toward the net = potential capture of benthic organisms 

#10 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 11 October 2015 - 08:36 AM

http://fishmap.org/

Try entering your zip code here. Might help you a bit to give you a general idea of what fish might be in your watershed. 

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#11 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 11 October 2015 - 04:19 PM

Small darters you can often catch with a regular aquarium net.  Just plant the front edge of the net against the bottom, up against a rock or other obstruction, and herd the darter into it with your free hand or foot.  Works especially well in cool weather when they're less active and dart away only a few inches at a time.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users