Plant ID

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 25 October 2015 - 02:00 PM

Got these in a creek near my house. Looked to be about half a football field of it. Anyone know what it is?

Attached Files

Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#2 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:34 PM

Hard to tell ... maybe one of the Potamogeton species?  Was it in a part of the creek that stays submerged nearly all the time, or a place where it would be intermittently flooded for awhile and then exposed? 

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#3 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 25 October 2015 - 07:45 PM

Thanks Gerald. After lots of internet searching I think it is a Potamogeton like you say. It is in an area where it is submerged all year. I'm thinking large leaf pond weed. If anybody has a positive ID, please jump in.
Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#4 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:03 PM

I see something the same/very similar in places in southwest Virginia too. I'm not a plant expert but upon doing some googling of different species, I think it looks closest to Potamogeton lucens. I've tried to grow it in an aquarium once or twice but haven't had any luck.

Derek Wheaton

On a mountain overlooking the North Fork Roanoke River on one side, the New River Valley on the other, and a few minutes away from the James River watershed...the good life...

Enchanting Ectotherms

My Personal Facebook (mostly fish related, if you'd like to add me)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users