Darter Festival?

66 replies to this topic

#1 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 29 October 2015 - 04:37 PM

darter_festival_poster.jpg

This is an old link, but there were at least 2 of these events.....2013 and 2014.  Anyone know anything about this?  I don't recall anyone discussing it on here.  Seems small/local to the Birmingham area.

http://www.al.com/li...ailroad_pa.html

Nick L.

#2 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 29 October 2015 - 06:41 PM

Looks like fun.
Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#3 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 30 October 2015 - 09:24 AM

Yeah, I never heard anybody mention either.  Maybe Bruce will chime in.  He's from Alabama.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#4 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 30 October 2015 - 10:44 AM

I wonder what the yellow stuff in the cup is?

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#5 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 30 October 2015 - 02:48 PM

I wonder what the yellow stuff in the cup is?

Beer or polluted water....same thing?

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#6 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 31 October 2015 - 01:54 PM

[-(

Derek Wheaton

On a mountain overlooking the North Fork Roanoke River on one side, the New River Valley on the other, and a few minutes away from the James River watershed...the good life...

Enchanting Ectotherms

My Personal Facebook (mostly fish related, if you'd like to add me)

#7 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:16 PM

Depends; are we talking Ten Fiddy (proper beer), or Natty Lite (watered-down fish pee)?

At any rate, I like the realistic-yet-still-arty darter on the ad.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#8 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 31 October 2015 - 08:44 PM

Depends; are we talking Ten Fiddy (proper beer), or Natty Lite (watered-down fish pee)?

At any rate, I like the realistic-yet-still-arty darter on the ad.

Ask DLV, he's a Natty man

Sent from my AOSP on Manta using Tapatalk

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#9 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 31 October 2015 - 09:23 PM

Yeah, I usually do the watered down fish urine that most call Natty Light. I suspect "Ten Fiddy" is 10.5%? That's a bit too much for my tastes, though I can drink the occasional IPA as long as it has a cool name and label. I collect fish named craft beers. Really love that Sculpin IPA. The beer is okay, but the packaging is what sold me.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#10 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:46 PM

So what we've gotten from this is.....

"Yes. It is a nicely drawn darter and a festival that no one knows of. Some people like light beer. Some people like heavy beer."

If it eventually makes your face tingle---whether it takes 27 or 5, it's doing its job.

So aside from a festival named after a fish most of us have at the top of our lists, does anyone know anything about the specific fish itself that the festival is held for?
Nick L.

#11 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:42 PM

It looks like "no" Nick. I love it though. May have been very small and not super successful?

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#12 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:50 PM

Found this on Google, so it must be true.

http://www.birmingha...Darter_Festival

If there is a 2016 edition (looks like there's been three so far) this is right up NANFA's alley. Something to consider being a part of?

DLV- There does indeed appear to be a fishy craft brew backing this one. Something new for the collection? And fwiw, Ten Fiddy is 10.5% imperial stout sublime heaven...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#13 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 01 November 2015 - 10:16 PM

So aside from a festival named after a fish most of us have at the top of our lists, does anyone know anything about the specific fish itself that the festival is held for?

The Darter Festival creates civic pride by celebrating the Watercress, Vermillion, and Rush Darters. Alabama surpasses all eastern states in plant and animal diversity, ranking fifth in the nation. The Festival will highlight our Darter populations within the Turkey Creek Watershed and the extraordinary gift of Alabama’s biodiversity...

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#14 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 02 November 2015 - 06:38 PM

Nick whom is tattooed with a common Darter...

Years ago several NANFA members converged in Birmingham at Stott Noble's home.  I recall Stephen Ellis, Dave Nelly and maybe Ranger Bob attending.  I wrote a report about it, back in the pre-forum days on the old NANFA list.  Text only.  Maybe someone could track it down.  We had a good time in the field 2 days, stayed up late talking fish.  We grilled wild mushrooms and Stott smoked his Beer Can Chicken.  I slept on the stubby couch with cats running up and down me all night.

I snorkeled with the Vermillions, a spring run access, thick vegetation, big creek alongside and low rustic railroad bridge.  CFI was going to work with the Vermillions but last minute regulations got involved.  Current CFI status unknown.

We seined up Watercress Darters at a park site but the creek was very gnarrly with culverts and rubbled trash.

We dipnetted  Rush Darters from a disturbing commercial urban site next to culverts, gravel parking lots and cluttered trash.  Amazing that this site is for a lone specie.

This was pre-camera days.  We were just out exploring new waters.  A NANFA BoD member fussed at us afterwards but Dave had permits so we could legally catch and view the little fellers.  The habitats were all very urban.

As for the DarterFest it would be fun to attend but i do not think Stott is active anymore.  Bruce is 2 hours north in Huntsville.  And unless they have a parade with the 3 Darter species as floating fishes i doubt i could be lured to B'Ham just for the beer.  Nice city though.  A fine garden and Vulcan overlooks much of downtown.  Love the poster and always like to see pretty belly dancers... if any of you bothered to look at the TV link report.  The festival did not seem too darter like but surely there are some nice exhibits.

What would be cool is to organize an outing on that same weekend at the next DarterFest.  Sounds like a job for an Alabamian fishy representative.

Edited by Casper, 02 November 2015 - 06:41 PM.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#15 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 02 November 2015 - 08:11 PM

Here's the link to your old email discussion...

http://www.nanfa.org...oct02/0131.html

And I thought I heard from Stott on the NANFA facebook or something not too long ago... but you are right, he is not active with NANFA much anymore.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#16 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 03 November 2015 - 06:51 AM

Casper, thanks for the summary and write-up.  And thanks, Michael, for finding it.

Nick L.

#17 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:27 PM

I was a bit wrong... there are a few interesting accounts and perspectives on the NANFA rep site for Bama.  Pictures included.  Stephen Ellis had compiled an account with photos.  2002.  Lots of time for memories to fade.  Fishhead Ellis was a good active NANFA member for a number of years.  I think his life has taken him in other directions since.  I certainly miss his participation.  He was a good writer and travel buddy to share fishy stories.

Here is one link.  Four more offer other trip accounts.

http://nanfa.org/NAN...haba/cahaba.htm

I would think the Darter Festival poster features an artistic melding of all 3 species.  I would assume there are plenty of true photographic images for each on the net for those inclined to Google.

We use to Alabama camp on the Little Sipsey near Double Springs.  Those were fun adventures.  And then Bruce hosted the NANFA AL event in 2003 or so.  People fussed at me for putting a dead fish on the back of the convention shirt.  I thought about stapling a live one.  It actually was a cool X-Ray of the extinct Whiteline Topminnow.  Might be a variant of the Barrens Topminnow.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#18 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:27 PM

We use to Alabama camp on the Little Sipsey near Double Springs.  Those were fun adventures.  

I don't want to totally change the subject, but that is a very cool location.

#19 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:53 PM

A tease and a bit of motivation.  I miss those active SE wandering days.  President Bruce and the Stott could provide remedy.

I think we got fussed at by AL lurkering authorites on a last organizational attempt.  I just wanna swim with the fishes... maybe cook an unfortunate Redhorse streamside.

If i recall you were the last to visit on your way to camping along the Buffalo.

Casper Cox

#20 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 03 November 2015 - 07:59 PM

yup, the logperch there were very active and friendly... and my camping was remote and comfortable... until the rain got out of hand...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users