Photo

New to Native Fish, looking for some tips!

8 replies to this topic

#1 Kingmb8820

Kingmb8820
  • NANFA Guest
  • East Tennessee

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:33 AM

Hey guys,
So I just got into Native Fish with the purchase of 4 Swamp Darters that will arrive this Friday. I have experience with tropical fish, but I have heard that keeping native fish brings unique challenges. I have them setup in my 15 gallon tank with two pieces of driftwood and some plants. Is that enough room for them? What else should I add to the tank? If you all need pictures, I can post them. Also, what are some other species of native fish that are cool and not insanely hard to care for. I know I am asking for a lot of information, but I am extremely interested in learning all I can about our native fish! Thank you!

#2 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:38 AM

least killies which are actually livebearers, and golden topminnows are easy to keep in small aquariums. Mollies are fun, but are subject to infections in small aquariums,

#3 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:51 AM

Use the search function here. Tons to learn. Least killies, bluefin killies, golden topminnows, all sound like a good fit. Any of the smaller shiner or minnow species could work. Your state is not very friendly with it's fish collecting laws, head over to Kentucky and get some scarlet shiners or southern redbelly dace. Don't take dace from the Cumberland drainage, blackside dace are federally protected. Get in touch with Casper Cox here on the forum. He is your state Rep. If you want to venture into KY, hit up Josh Blaylock.

Good luck, and have fun.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#4 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:54 AM

You picked great fish to start out with. Swampies aren't the pretty-boys of the darter world, but they are very forgiving and very personable.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#5 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:58 AM

I find the collecting of fish to be very rewarding. Something about being knee deep in a creek and enjoying nature is very soothing to me. I think getting to know the habitat of what you keep in your aquarium and replicating it helps with well being of the fish.
Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#6 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:57 AM

Search the Feeder Guppy tanks in your local pet shops and you may find additional swamp darters, least killifish and bluefin killifish.  These are common "contaminants" in feeder fish shipments from FL.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#7 Kingmb8820

Kingmb8820
  • NANFA Guest
  • East Tennessee

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:49 PM

Thanks for all the replies and advice!

#8 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 04 November 2015 - 04:45 PM

Search the Feeder Guppy tanks in your local pet shops and you may find additional swamp darters, least killifish and bluefin killifish.  These are common "contaminants" in feeder fish shipments from FL.

Try the ghost shrimp tanks, too. I've found them there. Also found Bluefin Killies in aquatic plant tanks.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#9 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:45 PM

#King... ( and in response to your PM )

I wrote an extensive response earlier today but again it was instantly deleted when i punched POST as i was not logged on.

Arg.  I have been caught by that flaw multiple times.  Our software should offer a warning or such before vaporization.

Anyway...

Tennessee is a bad state if one wants to collect or keep fish.  Not even the common species.  One cannot leave a streamside with a live bait fish ( AKA Darters, Shiners, Dace, Topminnows, etc ).  You can stick hooks in them to catch fat Bass included those imported into our state by the mighty TWRA.

I am unsure about transporting KY or NC fish back to your home in TN... but you can go to the pet store and buy fish from all over the world.  Figure that logic... but there are good reasons for the TN regulation.  Reasons that most all NANFA members understand.

There is some extensive posting down in the state regulations section below.  See Tennessee.

Be discrete and start with simple fish like Stonerollers.  Pretty amazing critters in their own right.

But the best is come spring, brave the chill and immerse yourself for wonderous amazement.  Clear water, mountain stream, riffle runs and Chub mounds.  That is where i find my fishy satisfaction.

Visit Ranger Bob at Bay Mountain City Park.  He is the naturalist there and cares for several native tanks.  Ask for him by name.

You live in a fine region to explore.

When you become a dues paying member i will tell you more.  That is enough for now.  :)

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users