Photo

Please recommend a sunfish stocking list for a 58g

8 replies to this topic

#1 Aquarist Fist

Aquarist Fist
  • NANFA Guest
  • Oregon

Posted 05 November 2015 - 02:39 AM

I have a densely planted 58g tank that I would like to gradually convert into a southern United States-themed sunfish tank. What species could I keep in a tank of this size? I'd prefer fewer larger fish over a larger number of small fish. Thanks in advance!

#2 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:55 AM

For a sunfish species it's hard to beat a longear.

Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#3 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:57 AM

Dollars would work well in that size tank and be an intermediate size.  They are also found in densely vegetated backwaters in the field.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#4 Aquarist Fist

Aquarist Fist
  • NANFA Guest
  • Oregon

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:22 PM

Thank you. If I went with the little guys, the dollars, should I add a whole group (6 or so) so that the aggression spreads? And if I went the long ears route, should I play it safe and just get one?

And a slightly unusual question: I'd get the fish from Zimmerman's as juveniles. In the tank there is currently still a pearl gourami. I can keep the temperature at a compromise 73 or so, but do the young sunfish harass other fish? I would prefer not to move the gourami. He's pretty old so I'd love to allow him to expire naturally rather than putting him through another move.

Edited by Aquarist Fist, 05 November 2015 - 12:22 PM.

#5 Mrfipp

Mrfipp
  • NANFA Guest
  • Runaway Bay, Texas

Posted 05 November 2015 - 01:32 PM

I have 7 juvenile longears in a 45 gallon heavily planted aquarium. Originally they were all about 1", but now most are about 2" with one mini-lunker at about 4". They will be moving soon to a 150 gallon tank. All of this is in response to the tankmate question... Also in the current aquarium are about 8 big amano shrimp (1.25"?) and a small quantity of limia livebearers. The largest of my fish could easily eat the shrimp and livebearers. There's also some topminnows in the tank and though the sunfish could certainly kill them, I don't think eating them is currently likely. The longears have really shown no interest in the topminnows. The plants and wood in the tank definitely help, but I've witnessed practically no aggression towards the other sunfish or any other tank mates. I still have shrimp, snails, etc. The sunfish and topminnows are both much more aggressive feeders than the limia are. All of my native fish took readily to frozen mysis, krill, brine shrimp, bloodworms, dry cichlid pellets, and when they were all at 1" they would eat tropical flake. The only thing that has happened is any livebearer fry don't last more than a few days. All that to really say my limia took the heater removal with no problem and so far my sunfish have been much less generally aggressive than they are sometimes said to be. That being said, the sunfish will be in an exclusively native aquarium soon as I'm sure the limia would start looking like lunch at some point.

Sorry for typos or grammar errors... I'm posting from my phone.
There's something fishy about this place...

#6 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:57 PM

If you are getting them from Brian, he probably has northern sunfish in stock. Formerly called northern long ears. L. peltastes. Very attractive and less aggressive than central longears or dollars. Intermediate in size between the two. Might be a good option. Talk to Brian, he will steer you right. Dustin Smith, though he does not flaunt it is also a legal fish seller, so chat with him as well. I could not personally speak highly enough about either of them. Great guys who want to insure your success.Good luck!

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#7 Aquarist Fist

Aquarist Fist
  • NANFA Guest
  • Oregon

Posted 06 November 2015 - 11:57 AM

Thanks, Matt! Are northern sunfish less tolerant of high temperatures, though? The aquarium I have ranges between 70 and 70 degrees. In the summer, temperatures can get a bit higher, but I could limit that (a/c or possibly a chiller).

Mrfipp, thanks for sharing your experience! Sounds like I will be able to keep the juvenile sunfish and the remaining tropicals together for at least a little while. 

Does anyone have any thoughts on the group vs. individual animal questions? I guess since 58 gallons is at the lower end, a group of larger sunfish is out. I don't have experience with sunfish, but I have had cichlids in the past, and if sunfish are anything like them, then a pair or trio would be very dangerous in a small tank. Goes well for several weeks/months/years, and suddenly - whack! So if I went with anything larger than dollars, should I go with a single individual? Do they mind being on their own?

#8 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:11 PM

Dollars can be very aggressive, similar in size and demeanor to a convict.  If the tank, is heavily planted with nooks and crannies for hiding, a group would work well.  If it is less well planted with direct sight line throughout the tank, you may well be better off with a single fish.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:21 PM

Sandwich says one warmouth!

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users