• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FishyJackson

FishyJackson
  • NANFA Guest
  • Long Island

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:23 PM

Need some more of that Nanfa knowledge guys

It turns out I've misidentified a few fish in recent years, and this may be another

I always thought this was a regular adult common Eel, because everyone calls them Silver Eels on the boat.  But after looking at the attached ID Guide about the dorsal fin starting close to  pectoral fins, is this actually an American Conger (Conger oceanicus)?

Attached Files

#2 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 05 November 2015 - 02:19 PM

Lighting, angle, and perspective are a little off for us to see it all that well, but I would agree with your guess, Conger.  Anterior dorsal and jaw protrusion seem right.  Pull up a 200lb specimen next time and eliminate the guess work!

Nick L.

#3 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:43 PM

The eyes look obviously large to me. I know nothing about eels really, but your ID seems right to me, which is worth about what I am charging you for my opinion.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#4 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 05 November 2015 - 06:56 PM

I agree that your fish in the photo does seem to have too much dorsal fin for an American Eel. Also note that your attached ID guide references (with a drawing that's honestly not very good) Anguilla anguilla which does not occur in North America and may be a bit different than our A. rostrata. I think that dorsal fin positioning definitely indicates Conger though.

Derek Wheaton

On a mountain overlooking the North Fork Roanoke River on one side, the New River Valley on the other, and a few minutes away from the James River watershed...the good life...

Enchanting Ectotherms

My Personal Facebook (mostly fish related, if you'd like to add me)

#5 FishyJackson

FishyJackson
  • NANFA Guest
  • Long Island

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:44 PM

thanks guys good enough for me, Conger oceanicus for the win.  It appears the American version doesnt top 70 lb too often 

The local wreck fishermen around here have the Eels all mixed up, total lack of Congerian Awareness.  I already knew many refer to Ocean Pout as Conger Eels...apparently they refer to Conger Eels as Silver Eels too

#6 FishyJackson

FishyJackson
  • NANFA Guest
  • Long Island

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:57 PM

Kanus- yup just noticed I used a European ID guide by accident, but  basically the same deal.  Dorsal fin starts close to the pectoral fins

#7 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:27 PM

thanks guys good enough for me, Conger oceanicus for the win.  It appears the American version doesnt top 70 lb too often 

The local wreck fishermen around here have the Eels all mixed up, total lack of Congerian Awareness.  I already knew many refer to Ocean Pout as Conger Eels...apparently they refer to Conger Eels as Silver Eels too

Common names pretty much suck. Until I got serious and became a NANFA member, green sunfish were known to me as rockbass, which is what most locals call them, and all cat fishermen who consider them top shelf live bait. Skipjack may be held in higher regard, but keeping them alive is not so easy. So not as good for flathead, better for blue cats. Anyway sad to say I called green sunfish rockbass and rockbass redeye well into my twenties. A bit ashamed.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users