*Two* fantail darter morphs in Indiana?

6 replies to this topic

#1 millionk

• NANFA Member
  • Bloomington, IN

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:49 PM

Last Wednesday I went seining in Clear Creek just outside of Bloomington, IN.  I collected 14 fantail darters, but observed two different morphs: barred (E. f. flabellare) and striped (E. f. lineolatum).  Tom Simon's Indiana fishes field manual has them listed as two subspecies of flabellare, but I can't find out much more about them.  Does anyone know how divergent from one another they really are?  I was hoping to run some experiments soon, but I might have to pick between the two subspecies for the project if I can't pool them together as a single population.

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Board of Directors
  • Ohio

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:42 PM

Lost on them too. Still the same species as far as I know. Trautman had them split 40 years ago in Fishes of Ohio. Don't think it was ever accepted. I buy it myself.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 gerald

• Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 10 November 2015 - 08:55 AM

You might just be seeing normal variation within a population.  We have 2 "recognized subspecies" of fantail darters in the Atlantic river drainages in the Carolinas (humerale and brevispinum) and I see lots of variation in bars & striped patterns within both of them, even at sites where only one of the two forms is supposed to occur.

Gerald Pottern
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#4 millionk

• NANFA Member
  • Bloomington, IN

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:24 PM

Well they don't seem to vary much in gill parasite load, so I guess it will be okay for what I want to do.

#5 millionk

• NANFA Member
  • Bloomington, IN

Posted 11 November 2015 - 10:30 AM

Well, Tom Simon weighed in and said that it's unlikely the subspecies would co-occur, so I probably have two color morphs of the same species.  Whew.  That makes things much easier.

#6 fundulus

• Global Moderator

Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:13 PM

I assume these fantails carry many, many monogenoideans?

Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#7 millionk

• NANFA Member
  • Bloomington, IN

Posted 11 November 2015 - 04:50 PM

You would be correct: 100% prevalence, and high abundance as well.  One individual had 40 of them.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users