Photo

Northern or Southern Studfish?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 20 November 2015 - 11:43 AM

It seems as though few people have had much success with either F. catenatus or F. stelifer, but if anyone has tried both, which seemed to do better in the aquarium? I'd like to try one of them in my pond and see if I can raise the fry in an aquarium for a better chance of success.
3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#2 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:30 PM

You need a shallow sandy substrate.  Both reproduce well, just provide sheltered habitat for the fry.  They are jumpers though.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#3 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 20 November 2015 - 02:14 PM

I had a pair of Southern Studfish do quite well in captivity for a number of years before the grim reaper came for them in old age.  Both were collected as sub-adults (~2") and did well living with Rosyside and Southern Redbelly dace, and Redline darters.  There was moderate to low flow in the tank (~90 gallons) and it would reach temps of 75 in the summer.  I never saw any courtship but the male stayed pretty fired up most of the year.  They fed well on mysis, bloodworms, blackworms, flake, and pellets.  Occasionally I'd toss some pinhead crickets or flightless fruit flies on the surface which would get everyone really ramped up.  I enjoyed having them and wouldn't mind adding a few more to the home aquarium.

I'll second their jumping ability.  Much to the likes of a feisty arowana.

Nick L.

#4 Sho Bud

Sho Bud
  • NANFA Guest
  • Louisville KY

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:24 PM

I have 4 Northerns. 3 females and 1 male. They are in a low-light relaxed environment. Only darters in the tank with them. They spook easily, but are quite happy.

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:30 PM

I have had Southern Studs in one of my 100 gallon stock tanks since before the spring... they seem to be doing OK so far.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users