Grains as fish food?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 strat guy

strat guy
  • NANFA Guest
  • Orland Park, IL

Posted 27 November 2015 - 09:37 PM

Anyone try feeding their fish various whole grains as supplements? I've got some oats sitting around and I wondered if they'd be a viable food source. I assume, like bird seed, they'd need to be soaked for a while first to avoid expansion in the fish's stomach, but aside from that, does anyone see any benefit in adding something like this to their diet?

120 low tech native planted - Blackstriped Topminnow, Central Stoneroller, Fathead minnow, Golden Shiner, Black chin shiner, Carmine Shiner, Emerald Shiner, Sand Shiner, Spotfin Shiner, Orangethroat darter, Johnny Darter, and Banded Darter.

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 27 November 2015 - 11:23 PM

No. Maybe long gutted fish. Otherwise not going to be efficient at processing them, and mostly just carbohydrates. I may be wrong, but it does not make sense to me.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 28 November 2015 - 04:26 AM

No food value whatsoever to a fish. Grains are used as fillers in pellets and flakes and the like, but that doesn't mean they're any good for your fish. 

#4 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:26 PM

Hold your horses.  Not all fish are predators and some of the herbivores may have the ability to handle carbohydrates well.  First OP, drop the use fish. 

Oats may be good for some gramnivorous catfishes from South America.  Fish like adult grass carp may also be able to handle  limited amounts of greens in the form of sprouted oats.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#5 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:13 PM

strangely today i heard a news item about aquaculturists switching to a soy based feed

#6 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:36 AM

strangely today i heard a news item about aquaculturists switching to a soy based feed

The effort has being going on since the 1990's if not before.  Several problems remain with high among them being palatability and anti-nutritional factors.  It is very much a problem of interest to me with my domestication efforts.  The animals are being selected to perform on increasingly plant based diets which is almost certainly causing changes that will be measurable in the near term.  

I do not recommend the use of plant based or formulated diets on animals you are trying to keep in natural condition. 

#7 az9

az9
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 18 February 2016 - 10:22 PM

I'm using a bluegill feed that has no fish meal. The fish are healthy and growing rapidly. Some are 8 inches and under a year old.

#8 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:26 PM

Big difference than whole grains. Whole grains are not highly digestible. Some of the processed feeds without fish meal are making better fish. Good growth and much better flavor least in my  opinion.

#9 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 19 February 2016 - 03:38 PM

Do these fish feeds without fish-meal contain other animal byproducts, or are they totally plant-based?   I suppose it's possible over time that a predatory fish's intestinal bacteria community could gradually shift to plant-digesting bacteria, especially if the predators are housed with plant-eating fish.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#10 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 19 February 2016 - 04:05 PM

Some are totally plant based although most have byproducts such as porcine meal or poultry meal.  The challenges grain based feed consumption presents to carnivorous fishes is not likely to fixed by exposure to probiotics released by plant consuming fishes.  The vegetative plants have components that vary greatly relative to grains.  Most of the problems are more to do with limitations of the fish GIT and physiology associated with carbohydrate intake.  I doubt the symbiots can transfer all those sugars and funky proteins into some the fish can subsequently process.

#11 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 19 February 2016 - 08:03 PM

Doesn't Gordon's Formula have oats in it?  It's been a while - my memory fails me.

I wonder if anybody still uses it.

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#12 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:15 PM

A rich guy I am friends with has a membership at a trout club. They have their own hatchery. A couple years back they switched to a vegetarian diet. The meat went from white and liver tasting to pink and salmon tasting. I do not know of the food name, but I know that it made an end product that was much better. I am 99% sure that Ohio has begun using something similar as their put and take stocked rainbows have become palatable in the last several years.

#13 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:40 AM

Changes you note are not directly related to protein source  or quality.  Taste is a function of dietary fatty acids and possibly fat soluble compounds coming from bacteria and microalgae in the environment.  The change in appearance of meat is a function of A-vitamers (forms of vitamin A) where many are responsible for red, pink, orange and yellow colors noted in flesh and skin.  As a general rule you do not see what is related above when switching to a grain-based feed formulation.  I see the same type of talk with poultry people where there is a consensus that "vegetarian" diets for animals are superior for all situations.  The diet switch needs to be better substantiated.  I could see where new diet is not as vegetarian as thought or something about diet was changed the hatchery manager does not have a handle on.

#14 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 21 February 2016 - 01:18 PM

The hatchery manager was eager for us to try these new fish coming out of a rearing pond as they were fed a new vegetarian diet that was supposed to improve taste and color. I don't know the science of this, but this feed was apparently meant to do this.

#15 az9

az9
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 02 April 2016 - 04:20 PM

A rich guy I am friends with has a membership at a trout club. They have their own hatchery. A couple years back they switched to a vegetarian diet. The meat went from white and liver tasting to pink and salmon tasting. I do not know of the food name, but I know that it made an end product that was much better. I am 99% sure that Ohio has begun using something similar as their put and take stocked rainbows have become palatable in the last several years.

Is this the trout farm in Castalia that was purchased a few years ago from a private trout farmer? If so I met the manager as we another guy flew together to a coldwater RAS seminar.

#16 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 03 April 2016 - 09:29 AM

No, this is the Zanesfield Rod and Gun club. Headwaters of the Mad river system. It is a neat place with huge fish, but it is not exactly realistic. They hatch brook, rainbow and browns.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users