Photo

2016 Convention T shirt contest

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 08 December 2015 - 12:28 AM

Will their be a shirt for the 2016 convention? you betcha. But the thing is YOU need to come up with the design and we will vote on a winner. 

So start designing your entries.

#2 Mike

Mike
  • Regional Rep
  • Indiana

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:47 PM

I would like to see a Redfin Pickerel on it.

I will try and come up with a design.

Mike Berg
Northwest Indiana

#3 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:57 PM

I catch and eat Redfin Pickerels in Tates Hell, Florida.  What makes them unique to New Hampshire?

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:52 PM

Breeding color Fallfish

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 08 January 2016 - 06:07 PM

How about something from the tidepools or the research vessel? Those two things seem to set this convention apart from others.

Either that, or Mike and Josh in Speedos. Bet that doesn't ever get seen outside of NH! ;P
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#6 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:08 PM

I don't think a Redfin pickerel is a bad idea. Brook trout would be nice as well.Fallfish would be a bit unique as well. A tidal pool inhabitant is also neat. Quite a few interesting possibilities. Might be neat to go way outside the norm. I have a bunch of very similar convention shirts. The Oklahoma shirt broke the mold. Might be neat to do something different again. I think Julie Zimmerman may have an idea. Check with her via Brian.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#7 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:01 PM

I was thinking some tough looking marine sculpins they are so cool looking

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#8 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:16 PM

Attached File  beers-sculpin-primary-image.png   194.97KB   1 downloads

Check this out...

Great image.

I was gifted one of these brews, but it was Habenero flavored.  Whew.  Not to be done again but i love the artwork.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#9 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:53 PM

I keep fishy craft beers above the kitchen cabinets. Ballast point sculpin is up there of course. Like it, but we would need permission. However it could be a two way street. They could promote us as well? Maybe. They have a dozen more fishy beers. Not sure it works on our shirts though.

Maybe we do a shirt with their logo, and they do a fish of our choosing with our logo at some point. Just a thought.

#10 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:35 AM

Inspiration, not copying.

Casper Cox

#11 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:48 AM

Yeah, don't know that it fits fully,but why not if we worked together?

#12 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:21 AM

I catch and eat Redfin Pickerels in Tates Hell, Florida.  What makes them unique to New Hampshire?

Very few convention shirt fish have been unique to the state whose shirt they were depicted on.

besides the fish subspecies unique to NH is extinct now.

A few ideas that crossed my mind when thinking on this were brook trout, atlantic salmon, american shad, fallfish, northern redbellied dace, pumpkinseed, banded sunfish, swamp darter, redfin pickerel, lumpfish, rock gunnel, cunner, acadian redfish, and sea raven. Of course ANY fish found in the state is fair game,

#13 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:56 AM

yes do em all. Kind of a fish collage shirt with flashing light nanfa letters

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#14 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:53 AM

Josh sez...   Very few convention shirt fish have been unique to the state whose shirt they were depicted on.

Hum, i disagree and i do know...

As for the shirts i have been involved with designing...

AL - Whiteline Topminnow  ( Now extinct, found only in downtown Huntsville, AL, the convention site. )  The Barrens Topminnow on the front, its close relative found just over the border in TN.  X-Ray of preserved specimen and illustration by Joe Tomelleri.

SC - Carolina Pygmy Sunfish & Bluebarred Pygmy Sunfish.  Carolina Fritz Fishes.

AR - Arkansas Saddled Darter.  The name speaks for itself, a very cool fish i first observed while snorkeling in the Buffalo.  Unique to its namestate.

MO - Alligator Gar & newly discovered in state Golden Topminnows  ( Okay Josh, i concede on this choice... as in this state these 2 species are also found in other distant states ).  However we were overdue for a prehistoric GAR and a major stocking effort is ongoing in MO and both species were favored by our host Bob Hrabik.  Dave Neely, awesome illustration.

TX - Guadalupe Bass.  The State Fish.  The illustrator was a young student who won the state contest.  I still have some of these shirts available.

FL - Florida Flagfish.  The name speaks again.  Bart Gelesh did the wonderful illustration.

NV - Ash Meadows Pupfish & Ash Meadows Speckled Dace.  Highly localized at the exact site of our gathering.  Dave Neely did the desert oasis illustration, just below the surface.

KY - Kentucky Arrow Darter.  Unique handsome singular KY fish, Another fine Dave Neely illustration.

OH - Bluebreast Darter  ( This is a fairly wide ranging Darter, certainly not unique to Ohio.  I think a varigated Darter would have been the better choice but the convention host get to pick! ).  Drawn by Julie Zimmerman, our convention co-host.

VA - Mountain Redbelly Dace ( Okay... it is found, ever slightly, into neighboring states ).  Lance's Father, Kevin Merry, an excellent illustrator.

NC - I was not involved in this project but all three species were state species or just over the borders.  Fiery Blacks, Redlips and MRBD.

OK - Sunburst Darter ( Mostly OK and the corner of AR and a wee bit into Kansas ).  Lance's Merry's photo.

You stand corrected Chaos Josh.  The point is, at least in my opinion and i suspect most would agree, a state convention fish should be unique to and represent the state in which we gather.  But by all means... proceed with the contest.  It will be entertaining.

One thing i enjoyed was bringing different and most excellent fish illustrators into each project.

BTW... we still have a surplus of OH and NC shirts.  Get them while they are still available.  The others are no more.

On the NANFA logo shirts, of which there are still a few, the NANFA membership chose the Rainbow Darter.  An appropriate choice because it IS so widespread.  This is a logical exception.

Josh sez... Will their be a shirt for the 2016 convention? you betcha. But the thing is YOU need to come up with the design and we will vote on a winner. So start designing your entries.

Perhaps now would be a the time to select a marine fish.  It would be a first and much of the NH convention activity will be involved with such.  Proceed, i am eager to see the submissions!  I look forward to voting on a winner, if we be part of we!

Casper Cox

#15 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:27 PM

So since there is talk but no design ideas, and since someone mentioned liking the OK shirt, and since I am rather not as artistic as several I know, I thought I would kick off the actual suggestions with a rip off of my good buddy Casper. If we can get someone to do the Fallfish a bit better we can just call this the "Fallfish that ate Portsmouth"

Attached File  NH Shirt.jpg   63.98KB   1 downloads

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#16 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 09 January 2016 - 12:45 PM

Michael gets a Chicken Dinner.

Casper Cox

#17 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 09 January 2016 - 02:05 PM

I'd have to say he's in the lead so far.

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#18 lilyea

lilyea
  • NANFA Member
  • Peace River Watershed, Central Florida, USA

Posted 09 January 2016 - 05:38 PM

Here is another T-shirt design entry for the 2016 annual convention.

Attached File  NANFA-NH-Tshirt.gif   45.01KB   1 downloads

#19 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:44 PM

Nice.  Brook Trout, the Yankee sub species i guess?  Never had a trout on a NANFA shirt.  That should please the anglers.

Casper Cox

#20 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 09 January 2016 - 09:01 PM

Both are neat. Is there any concern about the origin of the brook trout image? I know this is only a design and it does not have to be that exact image. I assume there are more open source trout images than there are non game images?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users