Photo

Leptolucania ommata shy?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Joshaeus

Joshaeus
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:17 PM

'ello all! Forgive me for asking about so many different fish over just a few days...just debating what to put in my heavily planted 10 gallon.

Anyhow, how shy are L. ommata? Do they spook easily? Will they behave normally in the presence of people?

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:21 AM

they are 'lurkers' in my opinion/experience.  they kind of 'slide around' the tank.  they do stick to the edge of cover, but they also do come directly forward for something like earthworm flake.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 swampfish

swampfish
  • NANFA Member

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:51 AM

My experience with L. ommata has been the same as Michael's. They seem to be less shy of people than pygmy sunfish and are less secretive. They are not as likely to dive for cover when a person walks by. Still, with 6-8 or so in the tank, you are likely to only see one or two at a time in a well-planted tank. In a sparsely planted tank, you will still only see one or two with the others hiding in the corners or behind the tank heater. Males seem to be more secretive than females, making me think that they may be a female-dominated species with the individual or two commonly seen being the dominant fish.

Phil Nixon

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users