Derek Wheaton

Michael Wolfe

Brian Zimmerman

Were elected for the 2016-2017 term.

Josh Blaylock

Matt DeLaVega

Tom Watson

Are continuing in their 2015-2016 term.

Together, these seven recent met and, following the requirements of our constitution elected the following leadership positions.

President - Fritz Rohde

Vice President - Brian Zimmerman

Tom Watson - Treasurer

Michael Wolfe - Board Chair and Secretary

This Board is committed to serve NANFA and would be interested in any feedback from the organization on any ways that we can improve our advancement of NANFA's Mission Statement and Objectives.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:00 PM

Another peaceful transition of power. One small step for democracy, one small step for mankind.

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#3 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:46 AM

Thank you all for what you do.  While a board position is not always demanding, it can be stressful and time consuming.  I like the direction the board and the association have taken in the last few years and that is a testament to the dedication and forward thinking of those in charge.  

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#4 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:47 AM

BOD

Attached Images

• Empire.jpeg

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#5 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:12 AM

I am sure I speak for all of us, thanks for the kind words and encouragement Dustin. It is nice to enjoy a pat on the back from time to time.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#6 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:54 PM

I'm very much looking forward to serving. Thank you NANFA for giving me the opportunity!

Derek Wheaton

On a mountain overlooking the North Fork Roanoke River on one side, the New River Valley on the other, and a few minutes away from the James River watershed...the good life...

Enchanting Ectotherms

My Personal Facebook (mostly fish related, if you'd like to add me)

#7 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:46 PM

How many Voters?

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#8 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 08 January 2016 - 11:03 PM

Whew. Think it was over 40! Dustin?

#9 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 09 January 2016 - 07:25 AM

I think the final number was 37 voters, but that's just off the top of my head. If you really want to know I can go back and check. If we made 40, we didn't come anywhere near 50. We had a handful of voters who either voted for only one or two candidates.

I'm not sure what to make of the "low" turn out. I don't know what our total membership is, but ~40 does sound low. However, there probably aren't 40 of us actively involved in NANFA. (Sure, we have many members who are actively involved in fish for careers, but not active in NANFA per se.)We have many supporters, and members, who like what we do. And they support us by donating, and/or joining and renewing. But not necessarily by be active beyond that point. That's how I view my involvement with carnivorous plants- I belong to the ICPS, and donate an extra buck or two occasionally, but that's it. Native fishes I work for,CPs are strictly for fun. I'd bet we have a lot of members who like what we do, like to read the AC, and feel good about supporting us, but have no interest beyond that. That's not necessarily bad. It means we're reaching busy people with our work and creating awareness. That makes a difference. A "non-active" who pays dues could put that money somewhere else. We created/increased value for fishes for them and parlay what they are willing to give us, cash, into fish-benefiting works. NANFAns not voting does not automatically mean NANFA isn't working. We aren't the gov't. Would the ICPS wish I'd be more active? Yes. Are they grateful to have my dues and my name on the rolls to help make their work possible. Absolutely.

But I do agree that we should grow, carefully. We do need more involvement to make this happen and to keep things healthy. I am proud of this group, and awfully grateful to those who make it work. I wouldn't stress over the number of ballots cast, but would look at it as an invitation to reevaluate who we are, what we want to be, and how we want to get there.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#10 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:47 AM

Good points Matt.

And to the board members (past and present), thank you for your service!

#11 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 09 January 2016 - 10:58 AM

Agree with your point Matt. Sort of on the subject, is there any way we could have a membership document of some kind? When I introduce myself to a landowner that has a body of water I want to sample, I always mention NANFA. I realize we probably don't have the cash for actual cards but something downloadable would be nice. I have spoken to my local discovery museum about taking a group of kids Collecting in the spring and it would be a great time to get our name out there.
Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#12 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:21 AM

We do have a few downloadable things on the website.Specifically the informational brochure and the trifold brochure are good and I have used them before as a hand out. Check them out here...

http://www.nanfa.org...nistrivia.shtml

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#13 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:50 PM

We do have a few downloadable things on the website.Specifically the informational brochure and the trifold brochure are good and I have used them before as a hand out. Check them out here...

http://www.nanfa.org...nistrivia.shtml

Thanks Michael!!!!
Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#14 smbass

smbass
  • Board of Directors

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:05 PM

One thing I have personally noticed is it seems the forum has dropped of in use and quality of post some what over the past year or two. I think this is just a gradual decline and not a huge change. I think this may be somewhat due to us more experienced members, including myself, doing less initial posting and more just replying and answering others. So my goal for this year is to try to add more of my own new posts of interesting topics for the membership. 

Brian J. Zimmerman

Gambier, Ohio - Kokosing River Drainage

#15 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:15 PM

One thing I have personally noticed is it seems the forum has dropped of in use and quality of post some what over the past year or two. I think this is just a gradual decline and not a huge change. I think this may be somewhat due to us more experienced members, including myself, doing less initial posting and more just replying and answering others. So my goal for this year is to try to add more of my own new posts of interesting topics for the membership. 

I like your plan Brian. However we live in a facebook world now. The facebook presence is going to take away from the forum. FB members do not all realize that there is more to NANFA than a FB group. Many think they are members as far as I can tell. I quit. I have been off FB for 2 months or so, and do not plan to join back up. Double edged sword. Stop our FB presence and it may boost our forum presence or it may do worse and give us less web presence overall.

#16 smbass

smbass
  • Board of Directors

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:17 PM

Can't hurt to try!

Brian J. Zimmerman

Gambier, Ohio - Kokosing River Drainage

#17 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:26 PM

I like your plan. I would like to see us have more forum activity. I do also wonder if we should get rid of the unofficial FB page. I just cant figure out whether it is doing more good than harm in this age, or vice versa.

#18 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:14 AM

The more I have thought, the more I think you are on point Brian. The more topics started by experts the better.  Whether it be you, Gerald, Isaac, Uland, Casper, whomever who has really excelled in their part of this field.

I think the forum is tiring of new native keeping questions. Of course we welcome these questions as we want to educate, but I think we need more. I would love to hear more about your breeding techniques, Isaac, Uland, Bryce and others photo techniques. Ken Glacklin's darter breeding. Gerald's thoughts about outreach as a naturalist. Casper's tips on viewing fish via snorkeling. I think you are right and that will liven this place up. Very good thoughts Brian.

#19 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:24 AM

. I realize we probably don't have the cash for actual cards but something downloadable would be nice.

My wife prints out my business cards as needed. If we made a template, people could add their names and print them out at home on perforated business card stock. This would not be difficult. We could put a link to the template on the forum in one of the members only sections. Heather is hesitant to say she has time to do this, but she may be able to do it if she has enough time. If you all see this as a worthwhile project, let's talk more about it.

#20 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 10 January 2016 - 01:05 AM

I think the forum is tiring of new native keeping questions.

Yup.  Almost every question has already been asked and aswered.  And then there's the FB thing. 

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users