Photo

CFI Pat Rakes Hospitalized

17 replies to this topic

#1 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:15 PM

I am saddened to relay...

Pat Rakes, one of the co-founders for Conservation Fisheries, is in the hospital after a bad bicycle accident.

Monday, January 4 he was riding his bike to the CFI facility and turned into a vehicle.  His left leg has been badly broken but has a weak pulse and good color after the initial surgery.  There was concern that he would lose his leg.  He will need more surgeries and therapy.  He had brain trauma as well and is unable to communicate but he does seem to be responding to different voices.  Several ribs were broken but there appears to be no obvious internal organ damage.  This will be a long recovery.

If any of you would like to wish him well i would urge you to send a card to CFI at...

3424 Division St.   Knoxville, TN   37919

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#2 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 07 January 2016 - 02:37 PM

I'm saddened to hear this.  As somebody who cycles, I know the dangers are real and risk of serious injury from a crash are high.

Any chance would could put together some type of Cardish thing from NANFA to send to them?

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#3 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:03 PM

I would urge each concerned member of NANFA to send Pat a card individually.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#4 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 07 January 2016 - 04:08 PM

I saw this on facebook. It's really sad news. I'm hoping for a meaningful recovery. Thanks for the info on where to send a card.

#5 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:17 PM

I would urge each concerned member of NANFA to send Pat a card individually.

I agree, but it would be nice if NANFA, the organization, sent something also.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#6 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:38 AM

We could do something like this.  It's a 5x7 folded card.  Obviously I would use different photos and write more on the inside.  But I threw this together in about 3 minutes via walmart.  If others are in agreement, I'll make a nicer one.

Attached Images

• front.jpg
  • inside.jpg

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#7 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:21 AM

Looks great Josh

Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#8 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:00 AM

It is important that NANFA sends a card. It would be nice if all members sent a card, but we can't even get them all to vote. I think we should go with the NANFA card and encourage individual cards as well. Best of both worlds.

Maybe It would also be nice if the regional reps sent a card out.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#9 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 08 January 2016 - 03:56 PM

Here's an update from FB:

Hi Folks, Once again, I wish I had more to report. Not much change in Pat's condition, but at least he inching in the right direction...or at least not headed in the wrong direction! He is still mostly non-responsive to commands. But, they are keeping him pretty well sedated with pain killers. I can only imagine that if he were more awake, he would still be in considerable pain. When they do ease up on the pain meds, he tends to become agitated, so they have to give him more so he doesn't hurt himself. His left leg is still screwed into a framework surrounding it. There's talk of going ahead with the leg surgery. Perhaps if they do it will ease some of the pain.

It's really hard on us here at CFI and I can only imagine how difficult it is for his family. We are trying to organize our schedule to take care of some of the early spring field work. We know Pat won't be "field ready" for a while....maybe not at all this field season. But, so many of you have offered help that it is very re-assuring! We will all get through this, including Pat! Our first concern is getting him out of the woods. Whatever else follows, we'll deal with!

If anything of any significance happens over the weekend, I'll pass it along. Otherwise, it will be next week before I get back. Everyone have a good weekend, stay safe and keep ole Pat in your thoughts!

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#10 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 08 January 2016 - 04:52 PM

Heck, I only have met J.R.  I would however imagine that Pat would want their work to continue. Some nearby NANFA members might be able to help out a bit. Might be a nice offer to help fill in while they are shorthanded, and a great learning opportunity. You locals can always offer. Sounds like some have already offered to help. Good job.

#11 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 08 January 2016 - 05:00 PM

Wanted to make this separate. I picked up a card today. This will be from Ohio. I can only offer a get well card from our members in Ohio, and since I don't not know Pat personally, it will be rather generic. If anyone from Ohio wants their name put on the card, please let me know. NANFA and CFI have a good relationship, It was good of Casper to fill us in on this so we could give good wishes to one of our partners in native fish conservation.

#12 smbass

smbass
  • Board of Directors

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:12 PM

Yes Matt If your making it Ohio NANFA members put me on it!

Brian J. Zimmerman

Gambier, Ohio - Kokosing River Drainage

#13 smbass

smbass
  • Board of Directors

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:13 PM

I just had a nice time talking with him in FL back in Nov at the SFC meeting, really hope his recovery goes well.

Brian J. Zimmerman

Gambier, Ohio - Kokosing River Drainage

#14 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:37 PM

I will add your name Brian, glad you stepped up. Let me know if you want to add any more than your name. Something more personal if you wish. Do so behind the scenes. You know how to get a hold of me.

#15 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:41 AM

If any members from Virginia want to put their name on a card let me know. I have a card I am sending and will include your name.
Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#16 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:10 PM

Pat had a rough weekend but is responding to vocal commands with his hand and fingers.  He is still heavily sedated and with more awareness comes more pain and discomfort.  He had an additional surgery this morning that went well.

I cannot imagine the pain this accident is putting Pat through.

I know he is comforted by our prayers, concerns and well wishes.

JR mentioned a site but i do not understand it.  One has to register.  Hear it be if you want to use this option.  It will be quite awhile before he can have visitors beyond his family and immediate friends.

http://www.caringbri...it/patrickrakes

Casper Cox

#17 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 12 January 2016 - 12:14 AM

I sent in a note using the link above. It is quite devastating to hear of his accident, but I hope he will recover quickly and entirely. If I were closer I would be volunteering every spare hour I have to CFI. Thank you for the notification, Casper.

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#18 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:50 PM

Pat has been moved to the Shepherd Center in Atlanta.  This facility will provide him quality therapy and recovery care.  He is communicating and JR delivered a batch of cards to him.

CFI will need field assistance this season, so if interested let CFI know via their website...  I have done this several times in the past and it is always an adventure that will expand your knowledge of our interest.  It would also offer assistance to them in a time of need.

http://conservationfisheries.org/

Also if you would like to donate to Pat's recovery expenses you can visit...

https://www.gofundme.com/2mjyjf2k

Pat is improving and doing relatively well but it is going to be a long recovery.

Casper Cox

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users