Photo

Fundulus in a 10 gallon?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Joshaeus

Joshaeus
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 17 January 2016 - 06:29 PM

This is (almost!) exactly what it sounds like...can fundulus be comfortably kept in a 10 gallon? If so, in what numbers?

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 17 January 2016 - 06:51 PM

my wife kept one F. cingulatus by himself (he went all highlander on the others) in a six gallon eclipse office tank for a couple of years.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:09 PM

It depends on the Fundulus. Catenatus? No. Notatus? Probably. There is a difference between a tank that a fish can survive in and one where you can see their natural behavior. Fundulus tend to form large schools in shallow water, which a 20 Long or 33 Long does a great job of showing.
3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#4 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 17 January 2016 - 08:43 PM

Highlander.  Yeah!  I gotta remember that one.

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#5 Joshaeus

Joshaeus
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 18 January 2016 - 12:41 PM

I was thinking of Fundulus lineolatus or a similarly sized species...no studfish or mummichogs, obviously :)

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:34 PM

F. lineolatus might be a bit calmer than some others, you might try a M-F-F trio but no more than that.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 19 January 2016 - 11:58 PM

I have 10 golden topminnows of various sizes in a ten gallon by themselves. They seem to be getting along just fine. Seems like regardless of what size tank I put them in, they chew the hell out of the fins on any other fish, so they got put in time-out.

Derek Wheaton

On a mountain overlooking the North Fork Roanoke River on one side, the New River Valley on the other, and a few minutes away from the James River watershed...the good life...

Enchanting Ectotherms

My Personal Facebook (mostly fish related, if you'd like to add me)

#8 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:43 AM

I have 10 golden topminnows of various sizes in a ten gallon by themselves. They seem to be getting along just fine. Seems like regardless of what size tank I put them in, they chew the hell out of the fins on any other fish, so they got put in time-out.

Sounds more like the penalty box!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users