Photo

Looking for people to explore with in East Tennessee

17 replies to this topic

#1 GibsonMotors

GibsonMotors
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:20 PM

Hello all!  As you have probably discerned from my posting here, I have an interest in the keeping of native fish.  However, this interest is new to me.  I actively maintain several of my own tanks, both fresh, and saltwater.  I have not maintained any native aquaria though, and would like to do so.  Now being with the regulations here, at least to my understanding, it is illegal to keep living specimens of the state's native non game fish, so I'd be keeping game fish, and exploring the waters near here to look at the natives I can't keep.  Anyways, I guess I'm really here to learn from the experiences of you all, and hopefully find some people to explore local waters with come warmer weather.  Thanks all!

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:35 PM

Welcome. Aside from the brutal regulations, you live in an awesome state to see fish.You could purchase nongame fish or go to Kentucky and keep a few fish that are not found in TN. Anyway enjoy the forum and do visit our website.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 GibsonMotors

GibsonMotors
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:50 PM

Welcome. Aside from the brutal regulations, you live in an awesome state to see fish.You could purchase nongame fish or go to Kentucky and keep a few fish that are not found in TN. Anyway enjoy the forum and do visit our website.

Thank you very much!  I have visited the site, and plan on becoming a member within the next few weeks.  There's a great big world of fish right under my nose, and I can't wait to get into it!

#4 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:19 PM

Awesome! We love new members. You make our grants possible, as well as all of the exciting new projects we are working on. 

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#5 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:26 PM

You should get together with Casper in Chattanooga - he's your Huckleberry! 

Plus he's self-employed so he has time for that stuff.

Somehow, some way, Tennessee-ans manage to keep natives in spite of the overbearing legal environment.  Don't ask me how they do it. 

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#6 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:54 PM

Welcome Mr. Motors.

Send me an email and we can work out a chat time.

prizma@aol.com

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#7 trygon

trygon
  • NANFA Member
  • Knoxville, Tennessee

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:56 PM

Welcome. There are even members in Knoxville. It's about time to get in the water, if you're up for it.
Bryce Gibson
There are sharks in every ocean...except Billy Ocean.

#8 GibsonMotors

GibsonMotors
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:08 PM

Welcome Mr. Motors.

Send me an email and we can work out a chat time.

prizma@aol.com

Hello! I've just sent you a rather lengthy email.  Thank you very much for reaching out!

#9 GibsonMotors

GibsonMotors
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:09 PM

Welcome. There are even members in Knoxville. It's about time to get in the water, if you're up for it.

You have no idea how ready I am!

#10 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:21 PM

Your fellow Knoxvillian has reshown his presence, though you best get a warm dry suit before being his buddy.  Christmas was good to him this year.

Otherwise wait til about April May and wetsuitless July and August in the favored Little River.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#11 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:26 PM

A nice move...

be sure and study up using this fine freebie...

EDITED: updated link provided

http://trace.tenness.../utk_utpress/2/

Casper Cox

#12 GibsonMotors

GibsonMotors
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:42 PM

Your fellow Knoxvillian has reshown his presence, though you best get a warm dry suit before being his buddy.  Christmas was good to him this year.

Otherwise wait til about April May and wetsuitless July and August in the favored Little River.

I'll see what I can do haha

#13 GibsonMotors

GibsonMotors
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:51 PM

A nice move...

be sure and study up using this fine freebie...

http://forum.nanfa.o...lable-as-a-pdf/

I absolutely would study it thoroughly, however it no longer seems to be available.

#14 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:07 AM

I'll chime in and mention that while I live several hours from Knoxville, I make forays to the Clinch and Holston in Virginia right near the Tennessee line. It would be right about halfway between the two of us, if you'd be interested in joining me sometime. I probably won't be getting out until it warms up a bit though.

Derek Wheaton

On a mountain overlooking the North Fork Roanoke River on one side, the New River Valley on the other, and a few minutes away from the James River watershed...the good life...

Enchanting Ectotherms

My Personal Facebook (mostly fish related, if you'd like to add me)

#15 GibsonMotors

GibsonMotors
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:06 AM

I'll chime in and mention that while I live several hours from Knoxville, I make forays to the Clinch and Holston in Virginia right near the Tennessee line. It would be right about halfway between the two of us, if you'd be interested in joining me sometime. I probably won't be getting out until it warms up a bit though.

I would indeed be interested! I'd have to agree on letting it warm up a bit.

#16 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:17 AM

I'm going to jump in here too.  I'm only 2 hours away from Knoxville.  And, if you're wanting to keep non-game fish you'd be best getting a KY and/or VA fishing license and meeting me or Derek.  If you want to come to KY, I'm your guy.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#17 GibsonMotors

GibsonMotors
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:31 PM

I'm going to jump in here too.  I'm only 2 hours away from Knoxville.  And, if you're wanting to keep non-game fish you'd be best getting a KY and/or VA fishing license and meeting me or Derek.  If you want to come to KY, I'm your guy.

Your jumping in is very much appreciated!  I'm sure I'll end up collecting around there. I'll be sure to let you know!

#18 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:46 AM

http://trace.tenness.../utk_utpress/2/

This is a recent revised link to the wonderful book... The Fishes of Tennessee.

Available for FREE as a 74.6 meg download.  Last time i heard a hardcopy was running about $300.

A must for most NANFans, Mr. Motors.

Edited by Casper, 29 January 2016 - 09:47 AM.

Casper Cox

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users