Photo

Most waterproof small container?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 25 January 2016 - 01:29 AM

I need a small container to keep salt in, on the off chance that I encounter a leech firsthand. Or firstleg. Are there any small containers that are waterproof enough to keep salt from clumping? I'd only need a couple tablespoons or so. 

I've actually needed this before. I found this poor turtle with a bunch of leeches on it, and I figured I'd give it a chance to not die of bloodloss from having a dozen little nasties on it. I had some salt in my backpack for just this purpose, and after a few huge pinches of salt, one leech-free turtle was released. 

#2 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 25 January 2016 - 06:59 AM

I keep a small jelly jar in my tackle box to add to my bait bucket when I go collecting. A little bit of Instant Ocean seems to calm minnows down. The mason type for canning seal very well and are pretty small.
Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#3 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 25 January 2016 - 08:48 AM

Almost anything should do with the addition of some rice or dessicant packages. I wonder if peroxide would make them drop off?

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#4 UncleWillie

UncleWillie
  • NANFA Member
  • Georgia

Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:05 AM

Almost anything should do with the addition of some rice or dessicant packages. I wonder if peroxide would make them drop off?

It does.  Well, at least a 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and alcohol will.  I keep on old (beard) oil bottle with the eye dropper screw cap in my field pack for squirting in ears after snorkel surveys for mussels.  The mixture also works great on making those leeches let go of you.  The bottle is 2 oz. I believe.

Willie P

#5 Cu455

Cu455
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 25 January 2016 - 04:58 PM

Film container (if you can still find one) or a pill bottle.

#6 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 26 January 2016 - 03:19 PM

Ooh, pill bottle and a dessicant thingy would work. I have those on hand. I'll just put table salt in there for now, then I'll get some Instant Ocean when I get the chance. 

Why were you putting disinfectants in your ears? High number of germs around mussels? Mussel larvae? 

#7 gzeiger

gzeiger
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 26 January 2016 - 09:47 PM

Not disinfectants but dessicants I imagine. The alcohol flushes out most of the water and then evaporates readily. Not sure why peroxide though.

#8 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:32 AM

And what, pray tell, is "beard oil"?

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#9 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 28 January 2016 - 01:07 AM

I just suggested peroxide as it seems like leeches would not enjoy it. I do not regularly have leech issues. My world is not infested with them.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#10 UncleWillie

UncleWillie
  • NANFA Member
  • Georgia

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:56 AM

Right.  The alcohol draws water out of the ears.  Honestly, I'm not sure why the peroxide is included.  A former boss of mine did this, and I've simply continued.  We will use on cuts or scrapes that we've acquired while grubbing in some filthy waters.

Beard oil, Martin, is what can be used to protect the thing that protects us as men from UV light, harsh winds, and winter weather.  If you take care of your beard, your beard will take care of you.

Attached Images

• Spotted gar2.jpg

Edited by UncleWillie, 28 January 2016 - 10:57 AM.

Willie P

#11 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:44 PM

Hmm.  Oil?  I don't need no stinking oil!  I can squeeze it out of my mustachios. 

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users