Photo

Louisiana in Early March

21 replies to this topic

#1 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:52 PM

Looks like i will be in Louisiana in early March.  We will be staying near New Iberia.  I do not think there are any clear water springs or streams in the region as those that exist in the Florida panhandle, but i thought to inquire of the NANFA folks for any suitable snorkel sites. I have sent an email to Travis Haas, and i snorkeled with BG Grainier of Baton Rouge years ago, but we traveled well to the east for Bluenose Shiners.  That is too far for this adventure.  I may have to be content using a seine and dipnet but i also plan on using a fork a lot.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#2 FishGuyJosh

FishGuyJosh
  • Regional Rep

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:12 PM

That's a little bit out of the range of my of home stomping grounds of Terrebonne Parish. However, I can say you'll have some great opportunities for fishing and eating when you're there! I'm not sure on the logistics, but there could be some pretty crazy rig snorkeling if you could get a boat ride out.

FishGuyJosh

#3 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:30 PM

Goliath grouper? I would not have the fortitude to swim with those guys.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#4 FishGuyJosh

FishGuyJosh
  • Regional Rep

Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:41 PM

I can recall going to collect pompano, red snapper, and cobia broodstock out there. It would definitely be an intimidating site. I know there are definitely some scuba divers that love going out there. However, I definitely seem to remember a lot of life around the surface. Must be pretty cool to see.

FishGuyJosh

#5 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:50 PM

Maybe we can do some adventuring.  I don't know where New Iberia is but I do have an atlas.  Are you gonna be camping?

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#6 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:41 PM

Of all our members active on this forum... so little input on the state of Louisiana waters.

:(

I do suspect most of LA is dark water and infested with Alligators, Water Moccasins and the likes of the wildeyed Ragin Cajun... all the makings of troubled dreams!

Snorkeling off the coast with Sharks, rolling in the waves with all hope abandoned will likely result in an obituary notice.

I have made contact with He who is without Comb and i will let the Irate One know of potential logistics as the time approaches.

Maybe state Gazeers are still sold in local Walmarts marking the finer points of interest for a Tennessee wanderer.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#7 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 01 February 2016 - 07:28 PM

If New Iberia is involved, I'm guessing you're searching for the Tabasco Darter.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#8 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 01 February 2016 - 08:00 PM

If New Iberia is involved, I'm guessing you're searching for the Tabasco Darter.

Ha!  You got that right!  I have actually visited Avery Island which has the Tabasco sauce stashed for aging.  I had hoped they would let me stir one of the big wooden vats but the authorities wanted me to wear a hairnet, which of course i refused.  That is a fine nature center they have and i bet we will be revisiting it soon enough.  That's a great name for a future Darter split.

Edited by Casper, 01 February 2016 - 08:01 PM.

Casper Cox

#9 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member

Posted 01 February 2016 - 09:42 PM

I've been meaning for a number of years to get back out to Chemin a haute bayou ( prolly spelt that rong) to check on the bluehead (P. hubbsi) population there. 

#10 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:20 PM

Great trip.

My only regret was not being baptized in the Atchafalaya.

Louisiana Land & Red Muddy Waters.

Tuscaloosa's original Dreamland "Ain't nothing like 'em nowhere" barbeque ribs, Baton Rouge and westward to Acadia, Breaux Bridge over Bayou Teche and an easy sleep.  Morning arise to Lafayette and VermillionVille for a folk life reconstruction among Choctaw and Chitimacha Indians, exploring a trapper's tooled cabin, walking through an open schoolhouse filled with the sounds of an Acadian's accordion with dancing Chrysotus in the bayou beyond.

White rice harvest, trapped crawfish collected into purple mesh bags bound tight for the market, mud bug yard chimneys, a lunch of crawfish etouffee served amidst green & yellow Deere toys and relics.

Faded yellow tanks filled with Steen's sugar cane syrup, Abbeville Oysters shucked onto iced half shells, fried frog legs, oysters and catfish with fancy stuffed and skewered Louisiana gulf shrimp en brouchette. Abita, Tabasco, crackers and horseradish on the table.

Cypress stained waters alive with ghost shrimp, waterbugs, shimmering golden eared topminnows, least Heterandria, bantam sunfish, sunning gators and great egrets above.  Roman's fresh caught Choupique, headed to his evening's skillet with the cotton vinegar soaked flesh firmed.

Levees walked and wooden railed boardwalks populated by vivid green American Chameleons, their bobbing throats adorned with translucent dew flaps illuminated by the setting sun. Water Snakes and Snake Birds both stretched wide in the day's last rays, and our days often ending with rich sunsets of dark silhouettes of Spanish moss laden bald cypresses.

Orange oranges, purple and hot pink azaleas, Judas redbuds, Japanese plums and praline pecan liqueur drizzled over Blue Bell's scorched vanilla.

Lagneaux... the King of Seafood, presenting the endless buffet for the gathering masses.
Pouche's plate lunches of pork, shrimp and sausage complemented with dirty rice, red beans, brown sugar glazed sweet potatoes, creamed corn spiced just right and all finished with bread pudding and cream.

Loud sweaty Zydeko morning of fresh brewed Mellow Joy served with powder sugared Binettes, fruit and a Boudin McMuffin.  Antiques viewed through the rippled glass as musicians and listeners gathered along the covered sidewalks.  Catholic architecture of orange fired clay framing St. George's slaying of the stained glass dragon with lightning rod crosses reaching into the blue sky above.

Cajun Creole Cookers monthly servings of Dutch oven dump cake infused with cherries and crushed pineapple, Dutch oven jambalaya & all manner of Dutch oven gumbo on the historic grounds of Longfellow's Evangeline.  Live oak's massive branches stretched horizontally overhead to provide shade for the afternoon stroll.

Crawfish Town, USA  a late afternoon purchase of live and frozen Louisiana crawfish, head cheese, boudin, Cajun sausage, turtle and gar meat and balls.  Jars of dark roux, etouffee sauce, Acadiana honey, file' powder, New Orleans style muffuletta olive spread, Steen's molasses and a big bag of Louisiana long grained rice provisioned for the distant home.

The Great Crawling Mud Bug Escape & Lantern Light Roundup culminating in Ed's Saturday night Louisiana style Tennessee Crawfish Boil.  Zatarains and Old Bay seasoning brought to a rolling boil in a big silver cauldron of yellow corn, red potatoes, sweet onions, sliced andouille and finally the crawfish added and simmered to a bright red.  Pinch the tail, twist and pull, crush the head and suck loudly with a savory, messy motivation.  Delicious.  Do not be timid!

The young kayaking Canadian Noah directing us afterwards to La Poussiere circa 1955, Steve Riley's button-box accordion and the Mamou Playboys, playing Chatterbox, with dust dancing Cajun queens, black Russians & little Miss Blueberry wearing her favored crown.

Mary Jo's treat, a Sunday gourmet brunch at Blue Dog Cafe with yellow orange Mimosas, salted and sliced razor thin lightly smoked salmon, cream cheese from three to choose, capers and then onto crawfish enchiladas, eggs Benedict on seasoned crab cakes, Cajun sausage and shrimp jambalaya, dirty dog rice, creamy gouda cheese grits, oyster cornbread dressing and presented amidst the brightly colored folk art of George Rodrique and his contemporary blue dogs.  A relaxing final day wood walking along Lake Fausee Pointe and viewing our last sunset.  Back to the Riley House and pack for the long ride home.

2-PurpleBags.JPG

2-Tabasco.JPG

3-Bowfin.JPG

3-Topminnow.JPG

4-Anole.JPG

4-Gar.JPG

4-SnapperShell.JPG

5-BoiledCrawfish.JPG

6-Sunset.JPG

Casper Cox

#11 CCat

CCat
  • NANFA Member
  • Denver, CO

Posted 12 March 2016 - 08:38 AM

Beautiful! Louisiana is a special place.

#12 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 13 March 2016 - 02:34 PM

Very poetic. Sounds like you had a great trip with lots of good food. 

#13 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member

Posted 13 March 2016 - 07:27 PM

Casper's gonna go wherever there is food.

#14 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 13 March 2016 - 08:06 PM

Sounds reasonable to me.

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#15 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 21 March 2016 - 04:22 PM

I considered Louisiana a culinary trip on this adventure and was quite satisfied.  We didn't eat any Nutria or Turtles though.  Got a recipe for Bowfin and had 13 pounds of boiled Crawfish dumped on our table.  Delicious.  I always talk to old timers for recipes and get lots of ideas.

Casper Cox

#16 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:39 PM

BG once told me that if you don't eat bowfin absolutely fresh, it is like eating cotton.

#17 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:44 PM

You got me hungry now - gotta fry up some Sac-a-lait.  Maybe some Gaspergou. 

#18 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:14 PM

I have a recipe for Casper's Gaspergou featuring speargunned Freshwater Drum straight from the Conasauga.  Drum has a rubbery texture that hold up when making a fish stew.  Lots of fish just kinda dissolve in a stew or chowder.

I am told by a Louisiana Roman that if you soak Bowfin in vinegar it firms the flesh.  

Casper Cox

#19 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 22 March 2016 - 09:04 PM

I depart Lafayette tomorrow after a week long visit to the surrounding areas. Sadly no fishy type activities for me.

Coincidentally I heard an in-law make the same reference to Bowfin being "cottony". I'll pass.
Nick L.

#20 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:21 AM

maybe if you get a good recipe for bowfin and spread it around they would stop trying to eradicate it in fl.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users