Photo

Want to Keep Sunfish in My Aquarium

6 replies to this topic

#1 thebbqguy

thebbqguy
  • NANFA Guest
  • Belleville, MI

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:46 PM

I have spent the last year enjoying aggressive South American and Central American cichlids in my aquariums. I was dead set on expanding with more Central American cichlids, but ran across some information regarding keeping sunfish in an aquarium. It's got me thinking about going in a different direction.

I have several 75 gallons aquariums.

Can anyone recommend a couple of sunfish species that will stock well in a mid-sized aquarium?

I like the Western Dollars and Missouri Longears but I know little about them. I am unsure if they are even legal here in Michigan.

Thanks for any tips. I think I am going to like the "native" aquarium style once I learn more about it.

#2 thebbqguy

thebbqguy
  • NANFA Guest
  • Belleville, MI

Posted 06 February 2016 - 11:07 PM

I am understanding now that this may not be as simple as it sounds here in Michigan. I sent an e-mail to the DNR to better understand what is and is not allowed.

It's a shame that what may be allowed with a cichlid may not be allowed with a native fish.

Edited by thebbqguy, 06 February 2016 - 11:07 PM.

#3 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 06 February 2016 - 11:15 PM

I'm not sure what's legal in MI (though I understand possession limits and seasons are more complex there than other states tend to be) but sunfish are great aquarium fish. If you're going to setup up a tank just for them then I'd recommend getting 6-10 fish depending on the species for a 75 gallon tank and growing them all up together. A 1:2 male to female ratio tends to work best but if they grow up together from being fry, there shouldn't be as much aggression after a hierarchy among them is established. If you're allowed to keep them you'll find that natives make great aquarium fish. I did the whole SA/CA thing for a while but got bored with it pretty quick, since then I've switched to 90% natives (plus a few peaceful tropicals) and haven't looked back since.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:35 AM

Did you read this thread?  I know the info is a few years old, but seems like it offers some options.

http://forum.nanfa.o...1-michigan-dnr/

Also, given the species you are talking about, are you considering purchasing your fish?  That may be another way around this.  Zimmerman has those species you are talking about.  And although I have not read your regulation) I would assume that there is no bag limit on western dollars... you dont have those in MI do you? 

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 thebbqguy

thebbqguy
  • NANFA Guest
  • Belleville, MI

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:38 PM

It appears that natives can be kept but there are strict guidelines. It seems like it should be easier than it appears to be in actuality.

#6 thebbqguy

thebbqguy
  • NANFA Guest
  • Belleville, MI

Posted 07 February 2016 - 12:44 PM

I wanted to raise aquarium fish to sell for aquaponic use but it looks like it's back to the drawing board.

#7 rininger85

rininger85
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 03 May 2016 - 12:38 PM

any updates on what you found or did you give up on this? I'm looking at using native fish for aquaponics as well, and have a large tank in my house that I want to use as a breeder tank to provide myself with fingerlings to move to the aquaponics system. It would be nice to be able to collect fish and plants while scuba diving to set up the breeder tank, but sounding like maybe I need to buy them from a licensed retailer to be legal?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users