Help with Oklahoma minnow ID

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tstarks1990

tstarks1990
  • NANFA Guest
  • Oklahoma

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:05 PM

This minnow was caught and released in the Baron Fork River in northeast Oklahoma.  I was thinking either a big eye chub (Hybopsis amblops), but the lateral stripe wasn't very prominent in this specimen or a Hybognathus  spp. but I have always thought they were usually caught in sand bed streams.  Any ideas?  

Attached Files

#2 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:44 PM

Ozark Shiner, N. ozarcanus??

That is in the Illinois drainage, right?

I'm really not that good at out of state shiners.  I guess I should be better since the NANFA convention was in Tehlequah last year.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#3 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:47 PM

Now I'm thinking Bigeye Chub, H. amblops

somebody save me from my helpless guessing

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#4 tstarks1990

tstarks1990
  • NANFA Guest
  • Oklahoma

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:54 PM

I am thinking H. amblops as well.  Although, every specimen I can find has a distinct black lateral band which this fish is lacking.  Yes, this is the Illinois River drainage.

#5 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:09 PM

I've never seen the western Hybognathus species, but that guy sure does look a LOT like our eastern Hybognathus.

I've seen Hybopsis amblops in western NC, and they look quite different from your fish.  So I'll guess Hybognathus.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#6 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:44 PM

I think you guys are right with Bigeye Chub.

#7 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:46 PM

A closeup shot of the snout/mouth and underside of the head showing mouth shape would help distinguish Hybopsis amblops vs Hybognathus.  Also would like to see the caudal peduncle - any trace of a caudal spot?.  H. amblops should have some dark scale edge pigment, at least on the upper part of body, and a caudal spot.  Did the body have any more pigment than we see here when you first caught it?  If it was in a white bucket for awhile before the photo shoot, much of the pigment could disappear.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#8 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:26 PM

Amblops.

My best guess at least from the few I have known. I have no business sounding 100% confident.

Edited by Matt DeLaVega, 23 February 2016 - 06:49 PM.
Clarification

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#9 smbass

smbass
  • Board of Directors

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:46 AM

Could be H. amblops we did catch them in the Illinois River, they were pretty common at the site we all sampled there. I'm not convinced though, could just be the angle that it is sitting at but I feel something is a little off. I might lean toward Hybognathus but I have little to no experience with those, only seen them once in person in WI.

Brian J. Zimmerman

Gambier, Ohio - Kokosing River Drainage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users