Photo

upcoming withlacoochee south trip

44 replies to this topic

#1 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:39 PM

well, since i am now 60, time to do something crazy. planning a solo paddling trip of about 90 miles down the withlacoochee, over about a week, camping along the river. plan to sleep  in hammock to avoid snakes. have an underwater video camera and a go pro with accessories, also dip net, photo tank, gps, de larmes map atlas, fishing equipment, petersons and fl collecting guide, snorkel gear. want to get some great wildlife and fish photos, planning around 1st week of April, never did anything like this. helpful hints on almost any aspect requested. such as safe riverside camping, photography hints, creatures to look out for,journaling, location of snorkeling worthy spots as withlacoochee is a blackwater river, etc

#2 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:06 PM

That sounds like a lot of fun. I'm glad you will bring cameras to document it. I would love to hear about it and see photos/videos afterwards. I assume you are talking about the southern Withlacoochee that's close to where you live (there is another one by the same name in northern FL)?

#3 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:21 PM

Sounds like a great time.  I'd want to have a secure sleeping spot.  Stream side at night, would that be a gator problem?  I obviously have no idea but would want to know.

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#4 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:47 PM

yeah i said snakes , but really gators, planning to sleep as high as possible in a hammock, i'm a new yorker also

#5 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:12 PM

Guess I've been watching too much "Swamp People"  

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#6 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:04 PM

That is a potentially epic trip.  I sure would want a buddy along though, so much unexpected can occur.  Maybe you can get an experienced NANFA fellow to be your buddy.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#7 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:25 PM

Post pictures of Bluegill from that drainage.  Do they look like those from the Manatee or Suwannee drainages?  Based on map Manatee and 

Withlacoochee could share common alleles based in stream capture while Suwannee could have a confluence in what is currently the gulf during periods of glacial advance.
Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#8 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:40 PM

Don, very neat idea !

The Southwest Florida Water Mgmt District folks have been studying the Withlacoochee intensively for a couple of years, building a very detailed 3D model. They've essentially walked the entire 140 miles, taking water depth and velocity readings all the way. So they know the River well. You might want to call Mark Fulkerson, PhD P.E. at SWFWMD to chat and pick his brain. I'll PM you his number.

Does Doug Stuber know about this? He loves canoeing Florida's rivers. But I think you know that.

I can pass on this advice from my canoe trip years ago from Ichetucknee Spring to the Sante Fe River to the Suwanee River to the Gulf .... do not bring (boy scout) tents that are 18" shorter than you are, and that do not zip up. Do bring bug spray. 

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#9 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:33 AM

Post pictures of Bluegill from that drainage.  Do they look like those from the Manatee or Suwannee drainages?  Based on map Manatee and 

Withlacoochee could share common alleles based in stream capture while Suwannee could have a confluence in what is currently the gulf during periods of glacial advance.

i am talking about the southern withlacoochee, that originates in green swamp, and ends in gulf at Inglis, not in suwanee drainage.

#10 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:54 AM

i wouldn't mind a nanfa companion even for a short section, people other than fish heads may not work since i am likely to stop to fish, dip, snorkel, or search out a spring, also i expect a bug infestation, sleeping near gators etc. does anyone know where i can get a species list for this river? 

#11 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:52 PM

i am talking about the southern withlacoochee, that originates in green swamp, and ends in gulf at Inglis, not in suwanee drainage.

I am referencing the same location.  Take look at were they two drainage's met when Florida extended 50 to 100 miles further west than it does to day.  That location is currently under water west of Tampa Florida.

#12 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:23 PM

well looking at the map suwanee goes into gulf north of cedar key, and withlacoochee is only a little south  at inglis and just a couple thousand years ago gulf was back some 20 miles, so it's possible, but you said Tampa , at a much earlier time i have heard that the withlacoochee flowed south into tampa bay , but not  the suwanee, i wouldn't know one bluegill from another. i'd settle for a photo of an ivory billed woodpecker , jaguarundi, swamp thing , or anaconda,

#13 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:35 PM

Your down where bluegill differ from between stream like nowhere else.

#14 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 29 February 2016 - 07:50 PM

Look at past coastline and look were Tampa is today.  More than 20 miles possible to west for confluence.  Likely more than 100 miles.

BARR%20-%20ES767%20-Webpage%20Report_1_h

Also see following link.

http://oceanexplorer.../plan/plan.html

#15 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:21 PM

Casper has a couple Withlacoochee drainage bluegill photos in this post. My bluegill photos shown a few posts down in that same thread are from the St. Johns drainage. And here's one from the Suwanee drainage.

#16 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:33 PM

The fish Casper posted strongly favor Suwanee version of Coppernose bluegill.  Body shape and color of the Manatee version is very different as is round and smokey gray, respectively.

#17 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:53 PM

Interesting. I have no experience with the manatee drainage, but I see what you mean after doing a google image search for lake manatee bluegill.

#18 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:58 PM

It appears it is mute point at this time although the difference are not restricted to gross appearance.  If I had my way the Coppernose Bluegill would be split up.

#19 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 29 February 2016 - 10:01 PM

i 'll let you guys quiz this if catch one but both suwannee and withlacoochee drainage are about 100 miles north of tampa, i'm still looking for jaguarundis, and anacondas,

#20 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 02 March 2016 - 05:51 PM

so, does anyone know any small springs along river? how do I get a species list?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users