Photo

Spatterdock/Nuphar advena care

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Joshaeus

Joshaeus
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:52 PM

Well...any thoughts? Is this species' care similar to that of its close relatives in the genus Nymphaea, or is there significant differences between the two?

#2 loopsnj64

loopsnj64
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 21 March 2016 - 02:20 PM

...Good question
I too have been curious about the common Nuphar lilies.... Unfortunately I dont have an answer for that
But I actually have another question for whoever has the answer
...Are there any care differences between the Lily and Submerged growth styles of spatterdock?

"All good things must come to an end, but bad things think thats rather dull, so they stick around long after their natural end has come"

-From an art book I read

#3 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 21 March 2016 - 07:46 PM

I've never tried that species, but the rhizome always rots on me.  I get good initial growth, and then... :-(  I've tried Rootome with no success.

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#4 gzeiger

gzeiger
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:07 PM

Loopsnj64 - submerged growth merely precedes the emergent while the plant is gathering energy or when air temperature is too cold. No difference.

#5 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 22 March 2016 - 01:55 PM

I have kept N. sagittifolia for several years in 20-gal plastic tubs outside where they get about 5-6 hrs of full sun.  They are planted in wide shallow pots in mud/sand/peat mix, and the pots are submerged in the tubs with about 8" of water above the top rim of the pot.  Submersed leaves predominate in Dec to Mar, and floating or emergent leaves predominate during Apr to Nov.  Have not tried keeping them indoors - my tanks have low-medium light. 

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#6 Joshaeus

Joshaeus
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:33 PM

The idea was to keep the Nuphar in my water garden...not indoors, except to overwinter from December to March :)

#7 asukawashere

asukawashere
  • NANFA Guest
  • CT

Posted 05 April 2016 - 05:44 PM

In a pond it's more or less like a water lily. It likes good nutrients at the roots and will grow as big as you let it. Submersed, I wouldn't try it in anything but the largest of tanks. And, like submersed lilies, you'll want to rigorously trim out any surface leaves it tries to send up. One leaf gets above the water and it'll drop all submersed growth and shoot straight for the top.

As for wintering it over, it's pretty darn hardy. Unless you're way up north or your water garden is quite shallow or above ground, you can probably winter it over outside.

#8 gzeiger

gzeiger
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 05 April 2016 - 08:27 PM

It can winter under the ice. Not sure if the actual soil freezes though.

In a 75 gallon tank it's a significant pest, requiring frequent aggressive trimming to prevent it overshadowing other plants.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users