Alabama photos

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 11:51 AM

I would like to start by letting all readers know that I can't take credit for these photos but I have the ability to post them and thought I'd share.

Ichthyomyzon castaneus Chestnut Lamprey
Attached File  1.jpg   21.54KB   4 downloads
Attached File  2.jpg   37.07KB   0 downloads

Lepisosteus oculatus Spotted Gar
Attached File  3.jpg   61.21KB   5 downloads
Attached File  4.jpg   40.85KB   5 downloads
Attached File  5.jpg   64.77KB   5 downloads

Luxilus chrysocephalus Striped Shiner
Attached File  6.jpg   19.16KB   0 downloads

Nocomis leptocephalus Bluehead Chub
Attached File  7.jpg   30.22KB   0 downloads

Cyprinella gibbsi Tallapoosa Shiner
Attached File  8.jpg   58.08KB   0 downloads

Notropis baileyi Rough Shiner
Attached File  9.jpg   12.88KB   1 downloads

Notropis atherinoides Emerald Shiner
Attached File  10.jpg   14.43KB   1 downloads

Pteronotropis euryzonus Broadstripe Shiner
Attached File  10a.jpg   61.93KB   0 downloads

Lythrurus bellus Pretty Shiner
Attached File  11.jpg   23.45KB   1 downloads

Macrhybopsis storeriana Silver Chub
Attached File  12.jpg   20.95KB   0 downloads

Notropis ammophilus Orangefin Shiner
Attached File  13.jpg   24.68KB   1 downloads

Notropis chrosomus Rainbow Shiner
Attached File  42a.jpg   79.32KB   2 downloads

Phenacobius catostomus Riffle Minnow
Attached File  14.jpg   13.82KB   1 downloads

Pimephales vigilax Bullhead Minnow
Attached File  15.jpg   14.19KB   0 downloads

Semotilus thoreauianus Dixie Chub
Attached File  16.jpg   27.45KB   0 downloads

Notropis leuciodus Tennessee Shiner
Attached File  17.jpg   13.73KB   0 downloads

Semotilus thoreauianus Dixie Chub
Attached File  18.jpg   25.15KB   0 downloads

Hypentelium etowanum Alabama Hog Sucker
Attached File  19.jpg   13.35KB   0 downloads

Moxostoma poecilurum Blacktail Redhorse
Attached File  20.jpg   23.44KB   1 downloads

Erimyzon oblongus Creek Chubsucker
Attached File  21.jpg   17.48KB   0 downloads

Fundulus chryostus Golden Topminnow
Attached File  22.jpg   31.71KB   1 downloads

Fundulus catenatus Northern Studfish
Attached File  23.jpg   12.42KB   0 downloads

Cottus carolinae Banded Sculpin
Attached File  24.jpg   18.82KB   1 downloads

Lepomis miniatus Redspotted Sunfish
Attached File  25.jpg   22.57KB   0 downloads

Lepomis miniatus x L. punctatus
Attached File  26.jpg   23.69KB   0 downloads

Etheostoma tallapoosae Tallapoosa Darter (female)
Attached File  27.jpg   19.83KB   0 downloads

Percina palmaris Bronze Darter (male)
Attached File  28.jpg   24.46KB   0 downloads

Percina palmaris Bronze Darter (female)
Attached File  28a.jpg   26.7KB   0 downloads

Etheostoma rufilineatum Redline Darter (male)
Attached File  30.jpg   26.32KB   1 downloads

Etheostoma artesiae Redspot Darter (male)
Attached File  32.jpg   41.83KB   1 downloads

Etheostoma jordani Greenbreast Darter (female)
Attached File  33.jpg   23.53KB   2 downloads

Etheostoma stigmaeum Speckled Darter (male)
Attached File  34.jpg   23.16KB   0 downloads

Etheostoma parvipinne Goldstripe Darter
Attached File  35.jpg   30.52KB   0 downloads

Etheostoma chuckwachattae Lipstick Darter
Attached File  36.jpg   17.52KB   1 downloads

Percina kathae Mobile Logperch
Attached File  37.jpg   24.85KB   0 downloads

Percina cf. macrocephala Muscadine Bridled Darter
Attached File  38.jpg   9.87KB   1 downloads

darter??
Attached File  39.jpg   15.67KB   0 downloads

Percina caprodes Logperch
Attached File  40.jpg   11.78KB   1 downloads

Etheostoma blennius Blenny Darter
Attached File  41.jpg   22.65KB   1 downloads

Etheostoma jessiae
Blueside Darter
Attached File  42.jpg   25.77KB   0 downloads

Etheostoma ramseyi Alabama Darter
Attached File  13a.jpg   23.8KB   1 downloads

Etheostoma duryi
Blackside Snubnose Darter
Attached File  43.jpg   24.37KB   0 downloads

Etheostoma flabellare Fantail Darter
Attached File  44.jpg   27.14KB   1 downloads

#2 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:19 PM

Good lookin fish. What kind of lamprey is that?

#3 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:09 PM

Good lookin fish. What kind of lamprey is that?

Southern Brook lamprey Ichthyomyzon gagei

#4 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:34 PM

Youse guys got the full gammut, didn't you? :) That's 'bammy at it's finest.

Was the studfish stellifer or bifax?

And who took the pictures? That's the best euryzonus picture I've seen to date.

I'm heading thataway in a week and a half. Hope to get a lot of footage of these guys out IN the stream!

Didja go to Hillabee Creek? I really hoping to get some of those FIRED up bronze darter footage there. Any of the other cyprinella? Or just only a picture of tricolor? The Alabamas should be all bumpy and nice right now.

There any way for you to put the names in for these so people can see what they are? If things are in question, I'd be glad to help ID things. What I don't know, Dr. Neely will. These pictures are gonna make him so jealous he's gonna spit lol.

And if there's time for it, these really should be added to the gallery. These are great photos.

Todd

#5 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:53 PM

Wow, REALLY nice pics. Yeah, y'all were busy. I'm particularly envious of the Percina suttkusi, spent many hours out looking for those guys and have only gotten two... That may be the nicest photo of it I've seen.

Dang, that's enough to make me homesick...

Oh, and btw that second pic is a chestnut, not a southern brook lamprey.

Cheers,
Dave

#6 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:11 PM

Youse guys got the full gammut, didn't you? :) That's 'bammy at it's finest.

Was the studfish stellifer or bifax?

And who took the pictures? That's the best euryzonus picture I've seen to date.

I'm heading thataway in a week and a half. Hope to get a lot of footage of these guys out IN the stream!

Didja go to Hillabee Creek? I really hoping to get some of those FIRED up bronze darter footage there. Any of the other cyprinella? Or just only a picture of tricolor? The Alabamas should be all bumpy and nice right now.

There any way for you to put the names in for these so people can see what they are? If things are in question, I'd be glad to help ID things. What I don't know, Dr. Neely will. These pictures are gonna make him so jealous he's gonna spit lol.

And if there's time for it, these really should be added to the gallery. These are great photos.

Todd

The nondescript fundulus is catenatus and the euryzonus posed well.

#7 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 02:34 PM

Wow, REALLY nice pics. Yeah, y'all were busy. I'm particularly envious of the Percina suttkusi, spent many hours out looking for those guys and have only gotten two... That may be the nicest photo of it I've seen.

Cheers,
Dave

The logperch pictured is actually P. kathae. If it is in fact suttkusi, it was taken WELL out of it's documented range. The chestnut lamprey has a very spotty distribution across south central AL. THis, along with the approximate characters of the gagei, are why it was tentatively ID'd as gagei.

#8 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:14 PM

I second Todd's suggestion of adding in the names of these (common and scientific) below each pic (once you have them all worked out for sure) because I recognize some but certainly not all of them and I'm sure others would appreciate this too.

#9 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:23 PM

The logperch pictured is actually P. kathae. If it is in fact suttkusi, it was taken WELL out of it's documented range. The chestnut lamprey has a very spotty distribution across south central AL. THis, along with the approximate characters of the gagei, are why it was tentatively ID'd as gagei.

I'm not clear exactly where these pictures are from, but it could well be sutkussi that because the species exists surprisingly far north in Alabama, like the Bear Creek system if I remember correctly.

#10 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:26 PM

I'm not clear exactly where these pictures are from, but it could well be sutkussi that exists surprisingly far north in Alabama.

have to say I have never heard a gar being captured with a seine but theres first for every thing.

#11 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:41 PM

I second Todd's suggestion of adding in the names of these (common and scientific) below each pic (once you have them all worked out for sure) because I recognize some but certainly not all of them and I'm sure others would appreciate this too.

We'll get to that. Many of us are still sore from sampling and must add that I was out of town for 7 days...much work to catch up on. It was quite a task just editing photos and posting them. Tags will follow soon.

#12 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 04:43 PM

have to say I have never heard a gar being captured with a seine but theres first for every thing.

It wouldn't be a first... it takes some doing, and is easier if two seines are being used. It's kind of like catching a torpedo with a seine; think fast!

#13 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:45 PM

Cheers,
Dave

Dave, I have three of these logperch. If you want to spend some time working on a positive ID, I would happily send one your way. PM me

#14 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:51 PM

Also to add, Richard now has these lamprey in his possesion, and I am sure will work out a positive ID in a jiffy.

#15 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 05:59 PM

I'm not clear exactly where these pictures are from, but it could well be sutkussi that because the species exists surprisingly far north in Alabama, like the Bear Creek system if I remember correctly.

Just from looking at the Boschung book, P. suttkusi is not found farther north than where the Coosa and Tallapoose split. We found the "kathae" far up in the Tallapoosa system.

#16 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:19 PM

OK, just to make sure we're all on the same page. There's two logperch pics posted; the first is awfully suttkusi-ish (that's an awfully short snout, and the bars aren't expanded at all); the second looks more caprodes-esque (with the first dorsal down, it's hard to tell if there's any orange band, but it doesn't look like it). If the first one is from the Tallapoosa drainage, then yeah, someone should take a closer look at it to verify ID. If you can get it to stay still enough in aquarium to get a LL scale count (or get it off of a high-res version of the original pic), that would likely work.

First lamprey pic looks like it could be Ichthyomyzon gagei (small oral disc), but I. gagei doesn't have big honking teeth and a broad disc like depicted in the 2nd pic...

cheers,
Dave

#17 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 06:27 PM

Dave is correct the Lamprey is a Chestnut Lamprey Ichthyomyzon castaneus. After he stated that I took a closer and better look at them. The small "adult" is no question a 1st year I. castaneus and not I gagei . The teeth are very well developed and sharp. The oral disc is smaller than I'm used to seeing on CNLP but still larger and not smaller than the Diameter of the fish.
Attached File  Cnlp3.jpg   41.73KB   0 downloads

First lamprey pic looks like it could be Ichthyomyzon gagei (small oral disc), but I. gagei doesn't have big honking teeth and a broad disc like depicted in the 2nd pic...

Actually same fish Dave..First pic distorts the disc a lot.

Thats the second best way to Catch them... Some of us have made an art of it ;) (Uland)There is nothing quite like a seine full of Toothy ganoid scaled fish though to wreck a seine in a short time though....

#18 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:09 PM

We'll get to that.

I hope that didn't sound unappreciative for time already spent or pushy Uland. That definately wasn't what I wanted to convey, if I did :)

Todd

#19 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2007 - 10:48 AM

Had some time to take some pics last night. It is a little blurry, but the best I could do with my ghetto setup.

Lipstick darter, Etheostoma chuckwachatte

Attached File  alabama_019mod.jpg   40.74KB   0 downloads

P.S. The photo tank is not ghetto, just everything else :D

#20 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:10 PM

The unknown darter above, "darter ??", is probably a blackside darter, Percina maculata. They're extremely common, especially in areas like the upper Tallapoosa. They're also a variable species in coloration, although the one pictured looks about typical.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users