Photo

Mummichog vs Marsh Killifsh

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 09 April 2016 - 07:26 PM

These two fish were caught in Sandy Hook, NJ.  We initially thought them to be mummichog, but to me they look strikingly like Fritz's marsh killifish (http://gallery.nanfa...MarshK.JPG.html).  

Any input as to what they might be would be appreciated.  To clear up any confusion as to which fish is which, there is one individual trapped by the container lid and another that made it into some of the pictures swimming around the countainer haha.  

Attached File  DSCF6251.JPG   84.86KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSCF6240.JPG   75.86KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSCF6241.JPG   65.64KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSCF6243.JPG   64.66KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSCF6247.JPG   63.2KB   0 downloads

#2 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 10 April 2016 - 01:46 PM

It's a mummichog almost by default, since Fundulus confluentus isn't found north of Virginia at the most northerly. The only other local possibility that could be easily confused with F. heteroclitus in salt water is F. luciae, and that individual definitely isn't F. luciae.
Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#3 MichaelAngelo

MichaelAngelo
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 10 April 2016 - 03:27 PM

Thank-you for the reply fundulus, that helps a lot!  I was confused by this site:

http://www.state.nj....kfishmarine.htm

But a friend pointed out that marsh killifish doesn't belong on that list.  

#4 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 10 April 2016 - 07:53 PM

Yeah, that list is mistaken. When I used to do summer fieldwork on Nantucket I had several arguments with people who ran a public display aquarium in town who claimed they had F. confluentus in their display. They didn't.
Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users