Photo

Collecting in NC New Hanover County

1 reply to this topic

#1 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:39 PM

I went out today by myself to do a little collecting, first time out since my last surgery.

My target species was Redfin Pickerel, but the prime collecting site is on private property and had a no trespassing sign up and the owner wasn't home to ask his permission so I didn't get to collect there. He had told me several years ago I was welcome to collect any time but now there is a fence and that was several years ago and I'm not sure the same guy lives there.

No pickerels were caught. I did get the following species.

Swamp Darter 1

Pirate perch     1

Blue spotted sunfish 3

Several gambusia with one black spotted male...

Wait for it! 

Three tiny Sirens! I thought they were eels at first but when I put on my glasses it was obvious they were Sirens! First really small Sirens I have ever caught. They were about 3" long...

I also caught two salamanders of unknown species

several large turtles. stink pots and yellow sliders.

I very large and unhappy red bellied snake, he almost filled up the net! 

I also observed two large alligators sunning them selves, I figured they were better left alone, they were about 8' long.

More surgery in a few weeks so I intend to get out again soon, have to have redfin pickerels before you can breed them!

I did try my hand at micro fishing but only a few large green sunfish were caught.

A watched a fisherman near me in Greenfield Lake spillway catch a large mouth bass, he released him after a picture was taken.    

Michael

Life is the poetry of the universe
Love is the poetry of life

#2 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 17 April 2016 - 11:27 PM

I have to make a change, what I thought were baby sirens turned out to be eels, I should have known it was too good to be true, my eyes deceived me! 

Michael

Life is the poetry of the universe
Love is the poetry of life

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users